Author Topic: Most atheistic speech by a revernd.  (Read 648 times)

Offline Alkan

• Reader
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • Mt. Lemmon, AZ. Challenging, but wondrous ride.
Most atheistic speech by a revernd.
« on: August 08, 2009, 07:46:58 PM »
http://www.ted.com/talks/tom_honey_on_god_and_the_tsunami.html

See what happens when you reason about Christianity with honesty?  ;D

Offline ReverendZEgNosis

• Graduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • ALL YOUR SOUL IS BELONG TO US!
Re: Most atheistic speech by a revernd.
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2009, 08:47:09 PM »
What a fabulous bloke!.

Here is a man not afraid of being crucified for speaking his truth with the courage of being to admit to not knowing the answers to the difficult, pivotal questions.

His expounding of his "what if?" exactly and uncannily mirrors my own inner debate. He is obviously undertaking the exact same journey that I undertook and so far it has led to the denial of theism, the only logical conclusion to the debate, and beyond, where he contemplating the possibility of God being "in all things."

So far, he has professedly arrived at deism, a faith in a non-active God with whom he continued to have a relationship.

The only difference between this and Buddhist atheism is being able to let go of faith. Faith causes things to be defined in a certain way, and so he sees things in terms of God and his relationship with God. Without the prejudicial matrix of faith, there is only him, his enhanced perception (which he now sees as God but in reality is just a facet of his own mind) and the whole universe.

In a sense he is sat under the bodhi tree, waiting for the enlightenment which must surely come and which requires no more knowledge that he already has - just a semantic twist.

I could learn SO much from this truly remarkable man.
The word "god" should be abandoned and a set of non-prejudicial alternatives found. An awful lot of arguments would simply disappear when folk realize they've simply been fighting over etymology.
Puppetmaster - delusion. Theism.
>#! - the sum total: potential, emptiness, being...

Offline Alkan

• Reader
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2009, 10:57:57 AM »
What a fabulous bloke!.

Here is a man not afraid of being crucified for speaking his truth with the courage of being to admit to not knowing the answers to the difficult, pivotal questions.

His expounding of his "what if?" exactly and uncannily mirrors my own inner debate. He is obviously undertaking the exact same journey that I undertook and so far it has led to the denial of theism, the only logical conclusion to the debate, and beyond, where he contemplating the possibility of God being "in all things."

So far, he has professedly arrived at deism, a faith in a non-active God with whom he continued to have a relationship.

The only difference between this and Buddhist atheism is being able to let go of faith. Faith causes things to be defined in a certain way, and so he sees things in terms of God and his relationship with God. Without the prejudicial matrix of faith, there is only him, his enhanced perception (which he now sees as God but in reality is just a facet of his own mind) and the whole universe.

In a sense he is sat under the bodhi tree, waiting for the enlightenment which must surely come and which requires no more knowledge that he already has - just a semantic twist.

I could learn SO much from this truly remarkable man.

My main point is that Christianity is irrational. I liked his speech too.

Offline PinkMilk

• Reader
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2009, 11:14:09 AM »
He embodies the stance that I've never understood why theists don't embrace.  He clearly has looked into questions and even outside of the religious realm, he's not afraid of questions, he's not afraid to admit he doesn't know.  He's not afraid to all of this, but he's not afraid to tell people he thinks this way.  If theists are so confident in their faith, then it shouldn't matter if they have all the answers, they shouldn't fear things that are known truths, they shouldn't be afraid to admit they don't know.  I have to give him kudos for being quite possibly the most reasonable theist I've ever heard in my life time. 
I can see where your coming from but on the other hand i dont want my kid to learn about evolution or see homosexualisom talked about in a scince classs ethier. <-- From Youguysarepathetic

At least I have a mother. Have you? (serious question) <---From Skylark889

Offline Alkan

• Reader
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2009, 02:16:35 PM »
He embodies the stance that I've never understood why theists don't embrace.  He clearly has looked into questions and even outside of the religious realm, he's not afraid of questions, he's not afraid to admit he doesn't know.  He's not afraid to all of this, but he's not afraid to tell people he thinks this way.  If theists are so confident in their faith, then it shouldn't matter if they have all the answers, they shouldn't fear things that are known truths, they shouldn't be afraid to admit they don't know.  I have to give him kudos for being quite possibly the most reasonable theist I've ever heard in my life time. 

He really is. He's the only type of theist that would survive at TED.

Offline Seppuku

• Fellow
  • Darwins +125/-1
  • I am gay for Fred Phelps
    • Seppuku Arts
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2009, 04:28:58 PM »
He is a rare Christian indeed, he's what I imagine a chaplain I know would be like a few more years down the line...or at least there's a chaplain at one of these events I've attended who tries to be honest and will admit it when he has no answers and tries not to over claim things, and I think he has asked himself the questions and thought about the questions thrown at him, as opposed to his peers. Actually if the majority of Christians were like that, then your 'typical' Christian wouldn't bug me at all.

After all I don't give a damn about what a person believes in, but rather how their beliefs effect others.
“It is difficult to understand the universe if you only study one planet” - Miyamoto Musashi
Warning: I occassionally forget to proofread my posts to spot typos or to spot poor editing.