Poll

The story "The Plan of Salvation": An accurate summary of Christianity?

Yes, absolutely.
9 (29%)
Yes, mostly.
10 (32.3%)
Yes, begrudgingly.
1 (3.2%)
Somewhat.
2 (6.5%)
Somewhat, though a bit rude.
0 (0%)
Somewhat, though intended to inflame.
1 (3.2%)
No, it is frequently wrong because ...
2 (6.5%)
No, it is mostly wrong because ...
2 (6.5%)
No, absolutely not.
4 (12.9%)

Total Members Voted: 24

Author Topic: A brief summary of Christianity in story format (Is it accurate?)  (Read 4741 times)

Offline Hermes

• Professor
  • Darwins +2/-0
  • 1600 years of oppression ends; Zeus is worshiped.
Please take a look at the following posts that summarize Christianity.

While the format and tone is terse and sarcastic, what I'm interested in are comments on how it is factually wrong, or is incomplete in some important way.

Please refrain from focusing on colorations of tone in your comments.  It is assumed that the tone will not be correct for everyone, and may be offensive.  I'm interested in if the general outline of the major events and players are factually correct or not within the context of what the Bible actually contains.

NOTE: The title of this thread has been renamed.  I don't consider it an improvement, though it should be less confusing to some.

Part 1 of 5 - The Plan of Salvation by Mageth

God himself created man and woman and placed them in a garden, in “his own image”, but got righteously angry at them when they ate, against his wish, and after being tempted by a talking serpent that god himself had somehow allowed to slither about in the garden, a tasty, beautiful fruit, though he himself had placed it there but neglected to instill in his creations the knowledge of good and evil so that they would know it was wrong to eat it. Being omniscient, of course, he knew all this before he started, but was apparently unable to do anything about it because he had planned it this way from the beginning, and apparently god cannot change anything he already knows, in spite of the fact that he’s omnipotent, omniscient and omnibenevolent.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 08:17:28 PM by Hermes »
Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons. --Michael Shermer

The history of religion is a long attempt to reconcile old custom with new reason, to find a sound theory for an absurd practice.  --Sir James George Frazer

Offline Hermes

• Professor
  • Darwins +2/-0
Re: The Plan of Salvation: An accurate summary of Christianity?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2009, 07:22:29 PM »
Part 2 of 5 - The Plan of Salvation by Mageth

Later, God himself impregnated a virgin so that he himself could be born a human, a ManGod. This was necessary, apparently, because only his own ManGod blood could appease himself and deliver humans, who he created, and who he knew would muck things up by eating the fruit, from his own righteous anger.

Of course, he waited several thousand years to implement this divine plan, in the meantime taking the righteous action of drowning every creature on the planet except a few he could stuff on a boat. Not to mention handing down a Law that served to further condemn every one of us, and in which Law he himself had them frequently sacrifice animals to appease himself, though he knew the blood of animals didn’t really appease himself.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2009, 08:02:47 PM by Hermes »
Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons. --Michael Shermer

The history of religion is a long attempt to reconcile old custom with new reason, to find a sound theory for an absurd practice.  --Sir James George Frazer

Offline Hermes

• Professor
  • Darwins +2/-0
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2009, 07:23:04 PM »
Part 3 of 5 - The Plan of Salvation by Mageth

Much later, god, in a garden, prayed to himself to “take this cup” away from himself, though he himself knew that he himself had planned the coming events from the beginning and knew that not even he himself could save himself, even though he was god and omnipotent, omniscient, etc. Accepting this, he said, in effect, “Not my will, but my will.”
« Last Edit: February 25, 2009, 08:03:20 PM by Hermes »

Offline Hermes

• Professor
  • Darwins +2/-0
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2009, 07:23:52 PM »
Part 4 of 5 - The Plan of Salvation by Mageth

God then sacrificed himself to himself to save us from himself. (or had himself sacrificed; not much of a distinction between the two, really) Before dying, he himself asked he himself why he had forsaken himself.

He himself, being dead, then raised himself from the dead less than 40 hours later, though he himself had said he’d be dead for three days and three nights, which he could do because he was still alive, and later he himself pulled himself up into heaven where he himself apparently already was, and where he himself is described as now sitting at the right hand of himself.

He himself then sent himself (or a ghost of himself, if you please) back to earth to be a comfort to us, though he himself is still sitting at the right hand of himself.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2009, 08:03:35 PM by Hermes »

Offline Hermes

• Professor
  • Darwins +2/-0
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2009, 07:24:25 PM »
Part 5 of 5 - The Plan of Salvation by Mageth

And, glory hallelujah, he himself promised that he himself will return someday, though he himself is already here, and will still be there, to snatch up those who believe the god blood sacrifice story he himself told us, and kill the rest of us who don’t believe the god blood sacrifice story, no matter how nice we were otherwise. But, since killing us isn’t enough to appease his righteousness, he himself will then judge us, though according to ManGod he himself will also not judge us, and being a god of love will cast most of us into hell for an eternity of suffering. He has to, of course, because he is a righteous, just god, and can’t figure out a way to save anyone who hasn’t been redeemed by god-blood, even though he is omniscient, omnipotent, and omnibenevolent, and loves us all.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2009, 08:03:54 PM by Hermes »

Offline Airyaman

• Fellow
  • Darwins +17/-2
  • Alignment: True Neutral
    • Moving Beyond Faith
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2009, 07:31:57 PM »
3 - 5 is only valid for believers in the trinity or oneness. Of course, that is the bulk of Christianity.
If you are following God why can I still see you?

Offline Operator_013

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2009, 07:43:49 PM »
What's with the huge fonts? They rather swamp my small laptop screen.
Inactive moderator account.

Offline Vynn

• Reader
  • Darwins +1/-0
  • 1st an infidel, then a heretic, now an atheist!
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2009, 08:08:58 PM »
Yes, mostly. I say mostly because truly, christianity is what the believer makes it, however, it is usually founded on or around those central tenets.

Of course, i could write a short book on this stuff, so if there's any other specific information you'd like, (from my perspective) let me know.

Offline Operator_013

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2009, 08:12:54 PM »
Fonts will be reduced in a couple minutes...  :-*

Much obliged. Thanks!
Inactive moderator account.

Offline Hermes

• Professor
  • Darwins +2/-0
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2009, 08:39:45 PM »
Yes, mostly. I say mostly because truly, christianity is what the believer makes it, however, it is usually founded on or around those central tenets.

Of course, i could write a short book on this stuff, so if there's any other specific information you'd like, (from my perspective) let me know.

Thanks Vynn.  Maybe you could write a 'Bible in 60 Minutes' book to put beside Chicken Soup for the Soul or the books on angels at the grocery checkout?  Put your knowledge to work and if it makes real money, donate a % to the FFRF?   ;)

While I think that Mageth has done a good job, I'm always curious where people draw different distinctions and I like to play around with narrative styles.  Just as C. S. Lewis drew from Christian myths, it would be interesting to draw from a variety of sources.

Off the top of my head, I'm remembering two examples of what other people have done that is similar.  One was a video that gave a technical science spin to religion, and conversely gave a medieval monk style to science then mixed the two.  Very visual, though, so if I find a link I'll post it.  The other was a psychology experiment where children of Jewish parents in Israel were told one of two stories and asked to judge if the people in the stories acted morally.  One story came from the Torah and the other was the same story but used ancient Chinese names for the characters.  Both dealt with war and different people being conquered.  The judgment of the children was drastically different for the story that came from the Torah (violence was justified) vs. the story with Chinese characters (violence was not justified).  If I remember right (a big IF) a few children in the first group said that violence was not justified while none in the second story said it was justified.

Offline Omega

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +1/-5
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2009, 08:50:48 PM »
This give me idea that since God knew he is going to destroy humanity he decided to to become human and commit suicide so he could save humanity from himself.

of course there can be endless interpretations.

Offline Hermes

• Professor
  • Darwins +2/-0
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2009, 08:59:56 PM »
You mean, the Christian deity killed itself so it could not kill off humanity?  Kinda like a psychopath with a sudden bout of remorse.    ;)

Offline I KILLED JEBUS

• Reader
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • Beware of the Army of the 12 monkeys
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2009, 10:03:52 PM »
If it was his plan to sacrifice himself to himself to save us from himself,why the flood-why the change of heart to kill himself to save humanity when he already in the past swept all but a few humans from the earth?

Why wouldnt the supreme phsyco just kill all but a few like he did in the past? Of course first you have to be a believer to believe he did all those horrible things to his own creation,just to have a change of heart and off himself
Bow down my hairy children and behold the world I have laid out for you,walk away from your electronic devices and listen to the sounds of nature. Tear from you the ties that bind you to your pathetic existance,walk back into the woods with me and we shall feast on the bounty I have left
Sasquatch

Offline Omega

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +1/-5
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2009, 09:01:03 AM »
If it was his plan to sacrifice himself to himself to save us from himself,why the flood-why the change of heart to kill himself to save humanity when he already in the past swept all but a few humans from the earth?
flood was actually made because god have big fear that humanity will surpass him or something like that.
biblical story tells us that angels come to earth and started having children with humans, teached humans how to use magic and other goodly things.
Seems that God's throne became unstable and he decided to reset everything back to stone age, like Zeus did when Prometheus gave fire to humans.
at first seems that God was going to kill angels in that flood too, but lated he changed his mind and took them back to heaven.

so flood was not some punishment, it was made to destroy advanced civilizations.

Why wouldn't the supreme phsyco just kill all but a few like he did in the past? Of course first you have to be a believer to believe he did all those horrible things to his own creation,just to have a change of heart and off himself
we can also guess the he was going to do that killing again. Judgment day is supposed to be another flood or some other mass genocide.

Offline Arakk

• Graduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2009, 11:10:45 AM »

One of the greatest things I can't understand are christans who believe in adam and eve, and also believe in the great flood (despite civilizations across the world having thrived during the alleged time). Believing in one or both of those events is to believe that god supports incest. Both times the world would have had to come from a single mother and a single father, of whom the children would have had to have sex with each other, etc etc.

Do I have this wrong? Or am I right and christians just prefer to not think about it?
To assert that the earth revolves around the sun is as erroneous as to claim that Jesus was not born of a virgin.

?? Cardinal Bellarmine (Trial of Galileo)

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +927/-6
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2009, 11:30:42 AM »

One of the greatest things I can't understand are christans who believe in adam and eve, and also believe in the great flood (despite civilizations across the world having thrived during the alleged time). Believing in one or both of those events is to believe that god supports incest. Both times the world would have had to come from a single mother and a single father, of whom the children would have had to have sex with each other, etc etc.

Do I have this wrong? Or am I right and christians just prefer to not think about it?

You see, incest was okay Before the Fall, because there was no sin yet.
Or something like that. But Cain and Abel had sex with their sisters After the Fall.  :o
I guess it's all good if it's in the Old Testament. Except when it's not. :-\
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2009, 11:41:30 AM »
I'd have to add a bit about how God tried "#" times to get the same result and failed.  Flood, then made a covenant.  Tower of Babel, destroyed but failed to do anything long term.  Giving exhaustive and detailed laws, failed.  Predicted a messiah that has no resembelance to supposed messiah, failed. 
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Offline Arakk

• Graduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2009, 02:45:06 PM »
I'd have to add a bit about how God tried "#" times to get the same result and failed.  Flood, then made a covenant.  Tower of Babel, destroyed but failed to do anything long term.  Giving exhaustive and detailed laws, failed.  Predicted a messiah that has no resembelance to supposed messiah, failed. 

And being all knowing, he would have known he was going to fail before he did those things, and did them anyway. So he killed knowing all along that it would not fix the problem. Imagine if we acted as god did.

Perhaps next time I have a bill I can't pay come in, I should go finance a new entertainment system to remedy the problem.
To assert that the earth revolves around the sun is as erroneous as to claim that Jesus was not born of a virgin.

?? Cardinal Bellarmine (Trial of Galileo)

Offline brocma

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2009, 12:49:44 PM »
I had to forget the vote because "none of the above is the correct answer!

The Plan of Salvation as taught by main stream Christianity has no continuity and lacks practical application.

While Heavenly Fathers "ways are higher" than ours, He did make us in His image. The scriptures also allude to the fact that we must have some basic things in common with God OR we couldn't "renew our minds to the Word of God" and that "measure of faith" that we are all born with couldn't  or wouldn't exist. THERE WOULD BE NO PURPOSE TO IT! Our minds must be at least compatible with our creator and that conscience we are born with must be that little piece of Him we have to build from...some call it the light of Christ.

The two things I never heard taught in the beginning of my investigation....my conscious spiritual journey toward the things of God are: 1) My existence as a spiritual being. 2) My freewill choice to come to this earth...to take on a mortal body.

I now know there are tons of scriptures from the Bible and other sources that point to the fact that I was with Heavenly Father in Heaven before the earth was ever created. I also had the choice to participate in this life and this thing called The Plan of Salvation.

I grew up in a very bad environment. I was abused in every way imaginable. How could this loving God I kept hearing about MAKE me go through all of the pain and unhappiness I was experiencing. I knew I wouldn't MAKE or FORCE anyone to go through what I was going through. How could a loving God force me to?

I was every bit the rebel and my response to anyone who would attempt to hold me accountable for my actions was "I didn't ask for this garbage of a life so don't talk to me". I was angry and didn't feel as though I could be held accountable for anything. Life just seemed to be people taking advantage of people on different levels and in different ways.

Our pre-earth existence and the reality that our journey on this earth, even if I don't remember it, is a choice we all made. Like Jesus we all raised our hands and said "Ill go, send me".

This information, this truth brings The Plan of Salvation back into the realm of understanding in this world where things need to make sense to us. Heavenly Father wants us to be able to understand or His scripture wouldn't say "Get thee understanding". The Plan is not a fairy tale about a split personality God who just does things because He wants something to do.

God poured His Spirit out unto man and gave us a Plan that is doable and workable. The REAL Plan makes sense.

The Spirit is the Teacher and does bare witness to what I have written here.

Offline dmnemaine

• Reader
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2009, 01:01:30 PM »
Our pre-earth existence and the reality that our journey on this earth, even if I don't remember it, is a choice we all made. Like Jesus we all raised our hands and said "Ill go, send me".

You certainly have a vivid imagination.  I have one question for you.  If you don't remember your pre-earth existence, how do you know it happened?

Offline Hermes

• Professor
  • Darwins +2/-0
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2009, 01:14:12 PM »
I had to forget the vote because "none of the above is the correct answer!

Then what option would you want on the poll?

Keep in mind that it should be short and to the point; at most as long as this sentence.

Offline brocma

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2009, 04:06:32 PM »
You certainly have a vivid imagination.  I have one question for you.  If you don't remember your pre-earth existence, how do you know it happened?
---------------

The scriptures are one thing we have on which to base our perspective of the truth. In Acts God poured out His Spirit so revelation is available to those seekers who have established conscious contact with our Heavenly Father.

James 1:5 is pretty clear...as far as imagination goes...what do you do with the accountability of man? If I didn't ask to come here then God just gives me free will choice some of the time?

My story is real and the pre-existence certainly put the ball back in my court. I could no longer blame God for the choice I made...the choice to come and be here.

Offline dmnemaine

• Reader
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2009, 04:10:00 PM »
---------------

The scriptures are one thing we have on which to base our perspective of the truth. In Acts God poured out His Spirit so revelation is available to those seekers who have established conscious contact with our Heavenly Father.

James 1:5 is pretty clear...as far as imagination goes...what do you do with the accountability of man? If I didn't ask to come here then God just gives me free will choice some of the time?

My story is real and the pre-existence certainly put the ball back in my court. I could no longer blame God for the choice I made...the choice to come and be here.

So your "evidence" is quotes from an ancient book with no verification outside of itself and some emotional experience you claim to have had?   Pardon me for laughing at you.

Offline Vynn

• Reader
  • Darwins +1/-0
  • 1st an infidel, then a heretic, now an atheist!
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2009, 04:11:45 PM »
The scriptures are one thing we have on which to base our perspective of the truth.

I disagree for two reasons.

1. The scriptures have inaccuracies in them, and thus cannot be trusted as a source of "Truth".
2. Various people claim to have "the correct" interpretations of scripture, and disagree with each other. There's no way to definitively know who is right and who is wrong, so the point becomes moot.

In Acts God poured out His Spirit so revelation is available to those seekers who have established conscious contact with our Heavenly Father.

Various folks claim to have "revelation born of the Holy Spirit" and yet disagree drastically about what is correct or "true interpretation". Since there's no way to demonstrate which person is right, the issue is bunk or undeterminable from "bunk".

How would you know if you simply thought, 100% that your story was real, while in fact it wasn't?

Offline brocma

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2009, 04:47:05 PM »
I know from experience what revelation is. I know what I know , what I know.

The scriptures tells us that seekers find...if you truly want a testimony of God and His Plan of Salvation then that opportunity will be made available to you.

Death is only the beginning....all of eternity awaits us...our spirits have always been eternal...the only question is " in what condition will we exist".

We are spiritual beings on a mortal journey. Knowledge and Wisdom of that journey is available to those who want it. Eternal life is eternal change...and change is equal to repentance. The trouble with natural man is....He has to be right and he is slow to change. We mortals tend to want to find a soft spot somewhere and get comfortable...we don't like change AND OUR pride WON'T ALLOW THAT WE CAN BE WRONG.

TO err is human...to err on the side of GOD is divine!

"MAKE A FRIEND OF CHANGE AND MAKE A FRIEND for LIFE!"

Offline brocma

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2009, 04:49:28 PM »
The only answer can be "none of the above since there are so many variations of The Plan taught.

Offline Hermes

• Professor
  • Darwins +2/-0
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2009, 04:50:02 PM »
TO err is human...to err on the side of GOD is divine!

Why your deity and not some other deity or set of deities?

Offline brocma

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2009, 05:09:05 PM »
Why your deity and not some other deity or set of deities?
---------------

I HAVE BEEN TAUGHT CONCERNING THE GOD OF ABRAHAM.

The Bible and other scriptures such as The Book of Mormon constantly show the God of Abraham telling those who would give His word the test, that He would prove His word not by signs but by miracles and wonders to those who invested time and heart to know Him. I am a miracle and one of His wonders.

The scriptures tell us to seek and we shall find..knock and it shall be opened. I have knocked and the door has been opened. God says He will prove His word to be true and He continues to do that very thing in my life.

No one has talked me into it and no one can talk me out of it.

I know He lives and will help us take on His nature if we are willing.

Offline Hermes

• Professor
  • Darwins +2/-0
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2009, 05:13:42 PM »
Let me rephrase my question.

Why should a non-Christian spend time on your deity, but not some other deity or group of deities?

Specifically: Did you review any of the other deities, and if so which ones?