Author Topic: Your videos [#597]  (Read 510 times)

Offline DL

Your videos [#597]
« on: October 23, 2008, 08:59:22 PM »

I'm not going to over react, but I don't know why you feel like you need to hurt other people's beliefs. Everyone has their own belief you have your's and everyone else has their's, but why do you tear Christians down. Do you feel good crushing people's hopes and beliefs because it doesn't seem right. I don't really need to say more, I just don't think you need to cut other people down for whatever reason you have.

Offline Hermes

• Professor
  • Darwins +2/-0
  • 1600 years of oppression ends; Zeus is worshiped.
Re: Your videos [#597]
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2008, 09:47:35 PM »
"I'm not going to over react, but I don't know why you feel like you need to hurt other people's beliefs. Everyone has their own belief you have your's and everyone else has their's, but why do you tear Christians down. Do you feel good crushing people's hopes and beliefs because it doesn't seem right. I don't really need to say more, I just don't think you need to cut other people down for whatever reason you have."

I agree, yet it's not common courtesy that is the critical issue here.  It's something much more serious.

I have noticed, as you may have as well, that there are Christians that do things in the name of Christianity that are negative.  Christians that promote bigotry and ignorance.  Christians that advocate actions that lead to harm and even death.  Christians that advocate not caring about this world and who want it to be destroyed in a polluted and fiery apocalypse. 

If there were enough Christians that effectively dealt with those problems, I would not have any concerns.  Believe as you want.  As far as I would be concerned, the real world problems would be solved.

Unfortunately, that is not the world we are in.  Most Christians aren't doing nearly enough.   Many unfortunately are actively promoting these negative goals -- from paying money passively to going out and doing these negative actions themselves.  Some of the strongest advocates for those negative actions are the leaders and congregants of the larger Christian churches and organizations; this is not a problem with a few fringe groups or eccentric cult leaders.

Too many Christians not only do not take responsibility, they are leading the charge for these negative actions.  They justify bigotry and ignorance, they justify actions that result in the deaths of others that could be easily avoided.

As a responsible person, someone who cares about the world and the future of humanity, I have to act.  Even if it is not my fault that these Christians are doing harm, it is my responsibility to do something positive.  You can consider it a moral obligation.  If that means that I have to hold up a mirror so that my fellow humans look at what they believe, then I'll take that modest step.  Maybe that will be enough to drain the air out of some of those bad ideas.

Now that I've answered your question, I have one for you;

As a Christian, what are you doing about these problems?
Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons. --Michael Shermer

The history of religion is a long attempt to reconcile old custom with new reason, to find a sound theory for an absurd practice.  --Sir James George Frazer

Offline Sota

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2008, 09:49:23 PM »
I'm debating the fact that Hermes is, in fact, some sort of god.

Offline Hermes

• Professor
  • Darwins +2/-0
  • 1600 years of oppression ends; Zeus is worshiped.
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2008, 09:52:38 PM »
I'm debating the fact that Hermes is, in fact, some sort of god.

I used to be ... while the will is still there, the body sags.  Adonis I aint. :(
Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons. --Michael Shermer

The history of religion is a long attempt to reconcile old custom with new reason, to find a sound theory for an absurd practice.  --Sir James George Frazer

Offline Shakaib

• Emergency Room
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2008, 08:40:44 AM »

I'm not going to over react, but I don't know why you feel like you need to hurt other people's beliefs. Everyone has their own belief you have your's and everyone else has their's, but why do you tear Christians down. Do you feel good crushing people's hopes and beliefs because it doesn't seem right. I don't really need to say more, I just don't think you need to cut other people down for whatever reason you have.

I guess he's right. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2008, 02:59:31 PM »

Your "beliefs" have harmed humanity.  Do you feel good telling people that they will go to hell because they don't believe in your invisible friend? 
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Offline Cycle4Fun

• Reader
  • Darwins +2/-0
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2008, 11:43:07 AM »
Where are the exclamations; the curse words, the hate?  What is with the correct use of capital letters and periods?  This couldn't possibly be delivered in the mail.

I give this 0/10 on the troll scale.  This post failed to make me feel better about myself.  What other use is there for this section of the forum?
How do you define soul?
"A baseless assertion by simple-minded, superstitious individuals"
   -Starstuff