Author Topic: For SteveK: This is quite a list. ...  (Read 633 times)

Offline Hermes

• Professor
  • Darwins +2/-0
  • 1600 years of oppression ends; Zeus is worshiped.
For SteveK: This is quite a list. ...
« on: September 30, 2008, 05:46:31 AM »
On the WWGHA blog, the following conversation occurred;

What is an Evangelical Christian?
http://whywontgodhealamputees.com/blog/?p=218#comments

Quote from: Hermes
Quote from: SteveK
Quote from: Hermes
Quote from: lil tom
I’m curious to hear some thoughts of other atheists on some of these posts and videos around here. I personally feel that the tone is often very patronizing and being someone who used to believe in some of the mythology in question, have to admit that the tone would have likely strengthened my belief rather than help me out of it.
a few of the videos seem more about provoking a debate and pushing people’s buttons than actually helping people. I feel that it’s not the best way to get through to people (ie, repeating “you are *delusional* if you believe these things”, over and over can be a bit insulting - even if it is true - and will likely turn people away or just make them angry). anyone else have issues with this? just curious.
There are a variety of ways to get through to people.

I have some ideas why the makers of the videos and this web site have settled on the specific tone they use.

The question I have for you is my own;

What can be done about the bigotry, ignorance, hate, and promotion of illness and death that many Christians advocate but few Christians protest?

I’ve asked this question to quite a few Christians, most ignore it the question entirely, and the few that respond are the bright lights. They know what I’m talking about, if not exactly, and they say what they are working to correct those problems. They are specific. Unfortunately, not enough Christians are standing up.

I was told something years ago by someone I worked with; “It’s not our fault, but it is our problem.”

Believe it or not, it is effective and does address the problems I mentioned. It’s not as effective as we need it to be, though.
“What can be done about the bigotry, ignorance, hate, and promotion of illness and death that many Christians advocate but few Christians protest?”

This is quite a list. I’d be interested in hearing more details so I can comment. 
I'd be glad to ... in the forums.  This thread is going to be buried in the blog in a few days, and I'd rather put substance to something with a little more permanence.

I've created a new thread here;

http://whywontgodhealamputees.com/forums/index.php?topic=1596

If you are interested in discussing things, post a note there.

The floor is open.

Edit: Excess word struck from original to improve clairity.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2008, 05:50:14 AM by Hermes »
Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons. --Michael Shermer

The history of religion is a long attempt to reconcile old custom with new reason, to find a sound theory for an absurd practice.  --Sir James George Frazer

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
Re: For SteveK: This is quite a list. ...
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2008, 11:14:48 AM »
What can be done about the bigotry, ignorance, hate, and promotion of illness and death that many Christians advocate but few Christians protest?

I've been curious about this and thought to add my view of the situation.  It seems rather schizophrenic.  I find that many Christians will circle the wagons around even their most loathsome fellows e.g. for example Jerry Falwell when he says that 9/11 was caused by homosexuals.  They simply ignore what he says that they don't like and continue suporting him anyway, very much like how they also ignore what the Bible says if they don't like it.  It really seems that they just can't hear those hateful words.  Denial ain't just a river in Egypt. 

However, if another Christian says something that simply doesn't agree with our original Christian, imaginary things that don't have a bit of fact to suport them, well, they may as well be speaking from Satan's bullhorn considering the indignant reaction by said original Christian.  Then you get all the hate in the world being flung.

You can't do much about irrational willful ignorance.  IMO, when Christians realize what they are doing, they don't remain Christians long.

"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Offline Hermes

• Professor
  • Darwins +2/-0
  • 1600 years of oppression ends; Zeus is worshiped.
Re: For SteveK: This is quite a list. ...
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2008, 02:34:04 PM »
Well, as for the deceased Mr. Fallwell, I agree with Mr. Hitchens on it being a shame that there is no hell for him to go to even as he has richly deserved it. I'd only moderate that by saying the time spent there should not be eternal, and I'd say that it shouldn't be very long at all ... even the most loathsome hate mongers do not deserve infinite punishment for fininte a$$holedness.

Yet, I don't consider the grand standing and overt hate mongering of the Fallwells of this world to be the worst of the lot.

Much worse are those that stifled stem cell research, or worked against HPV vaccines, or who promoted abstinence only and abandoning condoms in AIDS torn areas.  Overt hate is accepted as just by the immoral dogmatists and rejected by everyone with an ounce of empathy; it changes nobody's mind and does not increase the death toll by much.
Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons. --Michael Shermer

The history of religion is a long attempt to reconcile old custom with new reason, to find a sound theory for an absurd practice.  --Sir James George Frazer