Karma reasons for concrete message

Jstwebbrowsing

• Darwins +24/-102

You can't reduce crime or violent behavior to one simple cause. It is true that there have been a lot of negative consequences of poverty and social policies like the "war of drugs" (to paraphrase Borat). And more crime can be "invented" by making more of human behavior illegal. That's why there are so many more people in jail in China and the US than in Sweden or Japan, per capita.

But some bad behavior is due to quirks in people's brains--genetics or chemical imbalances. They aren't normal. There are sociopaths and psychopaths that show up in families with no pathology at all. Very few mass murderers and serial rapists come from impoverished backgrounds. It takes way more than a bad family to create a person who actually likes killing and torturing others. It is rare to find more than one kid in a family, even a really bad family, who enjoys hurting animals, likes scaring the neighbor kids, is excited by setting dangerous fires,  and turns out to be the bad seed. Still one of the creepiest movies ever made....

I'm not sure if you're talking to me or junebug.  I definately agree people can do terrible things because of mental illness or similar things.  But these are the exception.  It also seems that just having loving parents is not enough if the hands of your loving parents are tied so they cannot do anything.

Why do ghetto's exist?  Are all those people mentally ill bad seeds that are genetically programmed to be drug dealers and gang bangers?  Are they all very low on IQ?  Do they lack loving parents?  Becoming a drug dealer living in a ghetto seems to me to be a very rational decision.  Necessity is the mother of invention.

As was said in the documentary, "what is not destroyed by drugs is destroyed by the war against them".  These people in inner cities need help not punishment.  Sure some will always be bad, but I'm not talking about them.  I'm talking about a lot of good, loving, intelligent people that are merely victims of circumstance caused by politics, greed, racism, and class division.

Quote from: nogodsforme
That's why there are so many more people in jail in China and the US than in Sweden or Japan, per capita.

Most of the people imprisoned in the US are there because of drug charges.  So now the problem becomes compounded.  Now we have economies and industries that are built around imprisoning people that will be disrupted if the system is changed. 
Changed Change Reason Date
Seppuku good points well made. July 07, 2013, 02:37:13 PM
nogodsforme Good post. July 07, 2013, 02:01:07 PM