Karma reasons for concrete message

Quesi

• Darwins +371/-4

Because my subjective morality says that victims don't matter.

There we go!  I think that we have identified the problem here.

You see, if I believed that this life was just an audition for an afterlife, that existed for all of eternity, I wouldn't really be concerned about suffering that happens during the relative blink of time that we exist on planet earth.  I might feel a little tiny twinge of pain, like I do when I deny my daughter a piece of chocolate that she really really really wants.  I mean, she is suffering during those minutes before dinner.  But care about her.  Not just her immediate gratification, but her long-term nutrition.  If I thought she was just auditioning for heaven, I wouldn't care about her long-term health. 

But you see, I don't think that she is auditioning for anything.  I think that this is her only life.  And I want it to be long.  I want her to be healthy and happy.

For every human being on planet earth, I believe that this is our one and only life.  And because of that, I am concerned about human suffering.  I believe that every human being has the right to access healthy food, clean water, to have a comfortable home, and even to seek joy and contribute to humanity.

I work to help people rebuild their lives BECAUSE I value this life.  If I thought that this life was just a blink of an eye in relationship to an eternity of playing harps on clouds, I would feel no more empathy for torture survivors than I do for my daughter during the minutes that she is denied a cookie while I'm preparing dinner. 

I care about the well-being of human beings BECAUSE I believe that this life is valuable. 

I care about the well-being of our planet because I believe that future generations of human beings should not inherit the aftermath of this generation's greed.

I care about institutionalized greed and exploitation because I believe that human beings should not benefit from the exploitation of other human beings. 

I do care about the "victims."  I care about the victims because I don't get to dismiss their pain as part of god's plan, or a special test that they are being given by some pathologically cruel deity, who is probably going to reward them later, if they pass the test.  I don't get to dismiss their plight as some sort of karmic punishment for bad deeds in a previous life. 

You don't care because your religion gives you an excuse not to care. 
Changed Change Reason Date
xyzzy Every day is precious as there are no refills December 27, 2013, 01:27:33 AM
Betelnut Me too. Life is so precious December 23, 2013, 09:01:02 PM
LoriPinkAngel Treat life as if it is precious now December 23, 2013, 07:40:40 PM