Karma reasons for concrete message

Quesi

• Darwins +371/-4

I self-identified as a wiccan for more years than I am willing to admit on this forum.

For me, it felt "real."  The holidays were "real."  They were the equinoxes and the solstices, and the crosspoints between the equinoxes and the solstices.  Most holidays celebrated by the Christian world were variations on ancient pagan celebrations.  On the darkest nights of the year, we put lights on the evergreen, to honor the tree that stays green when the others become bare and appear dead, and we put lights on it to remember that both the green and the light will return.  Just after the spring equinox, we celebrate growth and rebirth by honoring fertility symbols such as eggs and rabbits. 

At the halfway point between the fall equinox and the winter solstice, wiccans mark the beginning of the season of darkness.  Wiccans believe that everything begins in darkness, like the seed that sprouts in the darkness of the soil, or the embryo that grows in the darkness of the womb.  So sunsets marked the beginning of a new day, and the season of darkness is the beginning of the year.

I was drawn to the images of cycles, and the idea that in death, we decompose and become part of the life cycle by fertilizing the soil and making it rich for plant life and insect life that will feed animal life, and the cycle of life continues.  I still embrace this concept. 

Wicca is poetic.  It felt good to embrace.  Wiccans hug a lot.  Chanting around candles and calling the powers of the cardinal directions feels oddly profound.  Drawing on nature to give you the strength to face difficult challenges feels, I imagine, quite a bit like asking your personal friend Jesus to give you the strength to face difficult challenges.  And there is a resulting sort of self-hypnosis that really makes you believe you have more strength than you did before.   There is a strong code of "doing no harm," while at the same time seeking joy.   There is a lot about wicca that I still find appealing. 

I'd be interested in hearing about your experiences with wicca, Fira.  When I clicked on the link in your op, I got a video about a Chihuahua doing dog tricks.

Edited to add:  I was raised in a secular humanist household.  After a long life journey, when I became a mother, I made a conscious decision to return to the rational thought and the values systems of my own childhood.  Which is actually a very wiccan thing to do. 
Changed Change Reason Date
Traveler Lovely. :) November 28, 2013, 09:42:26 AM
wright informative and nearly poetic in itself; thanks November 24, 2013, 03:11:07 PM