Karma reasons for concrete message

Quesi

• Darwins +371/-4

I clicked on jaimehlers' link, and found this bio:

Dr. Whitley is a social scientist with considerable experience working at the intersection of psychiatry, sociology and anthropology. His work has focused on the mental health and health service experience of marginalized groups, including immigrants, ethno-cultural minorities, the urban poor, and single mothers.

Whitley is particularly interested in the concept of recovery, examining barriers and facilitators to recovery within both health services and the wider socio-cultural environment. He and his colleagues have evaluated many recovery-oriented psychosocial interventions such as supported employment and illness management programs for people with severe mental illness. They have shown that cross-cultural communication, discrimination, stigma, religion and family involvement all play a role in influencing recovery.

I think it is pretty safe to say that this is the author.

He and I work with very similar populations in different capacities, and I have a long history of cross referrals with mental health professionals, especially with immigrants and refugees who are suffering from trauma such as torture, surviving massacres, or witnessing the execution of a loved one. 

I bolded the last sentence, because it is pretty clear there is a consensus in the mental health community that each of the items listed is a factor in recovery.  And religion plays a fairly prominent role in treatment.

Again, if I correctly understand the abstract, it seems that he is concerned that this religion-heavy model is not meeting the needs of atheists seeking treatment for these types of mental disorders.

And I agree.

He seems to be arguing for more study into appropriate methodologies for the treatment of atheists!

Holybuckets?  Can you please explain this segment of your post? 

In the body of the text, Whitley (2010) explains his concerns with the barbaric and inhumane leadership of atheistic leaders of countries.  This accompanied by irrational comments of leading atheists has led to his conclusion that atheism could very well be a mental illness and the area needs further study.

Whitley, R. (2010). Atheism and mental health. Harvard review of psychiatry, 18(3), 190-194.

The formatting seems to indicate that it is a quote.  But I'm pretty sure that it is your own personal commentary.  Am I correct? 

Also, have you actually read this article? 
Changed Change Reason Date
magicmiles Good post and I agree with your conclusions May 05, 2013, 07:59:08 PM