Karma reasons for concrete message

Quesi

• Darwins +369/-4

And you know that this is because middle aged white women (I assume respectable and in a decent car) are massively under-represented in the jail population. And who are the police looking for?

That is true.  White people (and women) are indeed under-represented in the prison population compared to the representation in the general population.   But the data seems to indicate that in spite of increasingly aggressive stop and frisk activities here in NYC, specifically targeting black and latino men, of those stopped, more than twice as many white people are found to have weapons on them. 

Given that the purpose of a stop and search is to determine if someone has committed a crime, or is about to commit a crime OR to determine if the person is carrying a weapon, it seems like the NYC tactics aren't working too well.

Overall, the tactics have not proven too successful.

I think that we as a society really need to weigh the desire to find weapons and stop criminals with the human cost of more than a half a million people per year (in one city) being thrown against a brick wall with their hands over their heads and their arms spread while they are put through the humiliation of a random police search.  The psychological damage of being searched, or seeing a parent or older sibling degraded in this way needs to be addressed. 

Here in NYC, there is even a phone app to activate during a stop and search.  You can download it here.  http://www.nyclu.org/app

By the way - the police are only allowed to detain and search a person if that person is suspected of having committed a crime, or suspected of being about to commit a crime.  Unless the police decide to look for a weapon.  So why were the police searching Chavis Carter?  No media has reported that he was suspected of having committed a crime before he was detained.  So they were looking for a weapon?  Really, really incompetently looking for a weapon? 

A list would be useful.

"Am I free to go?"

"I'm going to remain silent."

"I don't consent to a search."

You have rights during a traffic stop and when a police officer walks up to you on the street. Learn what your rights are and use them!
 1. Your Safety - You start with putting the police officer at ease, you know the one behind you with flashing lights. Pull over to a safe place, turn off your ignition, stay in the car and keep your hands on the steering wheel. At night turn on the interior lights. Keep your license, registration and proof of insurance close by like in the "sun visor."

Be courteous, stay calm, smile and don't complain. Show respect and say things like "sir and no sir." Never bad-mouth a police officer, stay in control of your words, body language and your emotions. Keep your hands where the police officer can see them. Never touch a police officer and never run away!

2. Never Talk To A Police Officer - The only questions you need to answer is your name, address, date of birth, sometimes your social security number but NOTHING else! Instead of telling the police officer who you are, give him your drivers license or your I.D. card. All the information the police officer needs to know about you, can be found on your i.d. card or drivers license. Don't volunteer any information to a police officer, if the cop ask you a question politely ask him "Am I free to go?" If he says yes then leave, if he says no then say I'm Going to Remain Silent.

3. I'm Going to Remain Silence - The Supreme Court says you should never talk to a police officer without an attorney. The Supreme Court ruled you must speak up and SAY to the police officer "I'm going to remain silent" and then keep your mouth shut! How can you be falsely accused and charged with a crime, if you don't say anything? Never talk to a police officer, anything you say or do can and will be used against you at any time by the police.

4. Just Say NO to Police Searches! - If a police officer didn't need your permission to search you, he wouldn't be asking you. Never give permission for a police officer to search you, your car or your home. If a police officer does search you, don't resist and keep saying "I don't consent to this search."

5. Am I Free to Go? - As soon as the police officer ask you a question ask him, "Am I free to go?" You have to ask if you're "free to go," otherwise the police officer will think that you're voluntarily staying around to talk with him. If the police officer says that you're being detained or arrested tell the police officer, "I'm going to remain silent."

Changed Change Reason Date
nogodsforme I would give you ten points for this if I could. August 30, 2012, 11:42:31 PM