Karma reasons for concrete message

Samothec

• Darwins +49/-2

Any special reason Dutch babies wouldn't want to be born and the midwife needs to reach inside and pull them out?  :o  I know a dog will hide and need to be dragged out of the hiding place after making a mess. If the Dutch were known for their guilt I'd say the baby's worried about getting yelled at for the mess of the water breaking. lol

I really like the Online Etymology Dictionary

Quote from: Online Etymology Dictionary
midwife (n.) c.1300, "woman assisting," literally "woman who is 'with' " (the mother at birth), from Middle English mid "with" (see mid) + wif "woman" (see wife).

obstetric (adj.) 1742, from Modern Latin obstetricus "pertaining to a midwife," from obstetrix (genitive obstetricis) "midwife," literally "one who stands opposite (the woman giving birth)," from obstare "stand opposite to" (see obstacle).

I didn't know that, in spite of the differences in the words, midwife and obstetric were so close in meaning. I find it amusing that, due to its linguistic root, obstetric has a strong link to obstacle.

What I like about the site is that it also gives you every definition the word you are looking up appears in. So I look down the list looking for cool tidbits. Which leads me to look up other words and I find things like:

Quote from: Online Etymology Dictionary
urchin (n.) late 13c., yrichon "hedgehog," from Old North French *irechon (cf. Picard irechon, Walloon ireson, Hainaut hirchon), from Old French herichun "hedgehog" (Modern French hérisson), formed with diminutive suffix -on + Vulgar Latin *hericionem, from Latin ericius "hedgehog," from PIE root *gher- "to bristle" (cf. Greek kheros "hedgehog;" see horror).

Still used for "hedgehog" in non-standard speech in Cumbria, Yorkshire, Shropshire. Applied throughout 16c. to people whose appearance or behavior suggested hedgehogs, from hunchbacks (1520s) to goblins (1580s) to bad girls (c.1530); meaning "poorly or raggedly clothed youngster" emerged 1550s, but was not in frequent use until after c.1780. Sea urchin is recorded from 1590s (a 19c. Newfoundland name for them was whore's eggs).
So, urchin = hedgehog, weird and cool.
Changed Change Reason Date
Fiji Learned something new June 27, 2013, 12:36:28 AM