Karma reasons for concrete message

kaziglu bey

• Darwins +121/-1

This seems to get asked of Atheists a lot. If you don't believe in God, why bother talking about religion at all? To many this seems a fair question. The problem is, that even though I do not believe in God, God interferes with my life, and causes harm to the world I live in. I can't check news on the net or open the paper without some person with religious background saying or doing something ignorant and atrocious. Example: http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2012/12/17/tennessee-pastor-mass-shootings-because-schools-teach-evolution-and-how-to-be-a-homo/#.UM-nXL8LsJk.facebook.

Ok, did you read the message of that horrible, terrible person? Can you believe he would have the nerve to say such things? But you know what? The only time you ever see something like that regurgitated is when it is from the mouth of a religious person. You don't hear Richard Dawkins saying that Hurricane Sandy is punishment for Intelligent Design, or Sam Harris saying that the school shooting happened because the word "God" appears in the Pledge of Allegiance. That sort of thing NEVER happens. This is particular realm of wickedness that exists in our culture EXCLUSIVELY because of religion.

It is for that reason that religion and God can not be ignored, even by an atheist. In the immortal words of Christopher Hitchens, in response to some religious lunatic whose name I forget, "Your preachments are evil and a direct threat to the survival of civilization".  And they cannot be ignored.
Changed Change Reason Date
Jag Excellent point, and one I intend to recycle often. Thanks December 18, 2012, 10:56:13 AM
pamindfw Excellent point December 17, 2012, 06:54:32 PM