Karma reasons for concrete message

albeto

• Darwins +71/-1

Hi albeto,

How are things going? I hope you’ve been well.

Pretty well, thank you.

I finally have some time. Our movie, a spoof on Minority Report, is done. It was a hit. No revenues, though. :-) The editing took all my free time before, so now I actually have some.

Sounds like a satisfying project.  I would be remiss, though, if I didn't take the opportunity to express my wishes that you use your talents towards something that is beneficial to humanity and not detrimental. 

You ask a question that is always interesting.

I know, right?

My first question would be, how do you know that Jesus didn’t try to stop Judas from betraying him?

Same reason you know:  The Holy Mother Church believes herself to  be the keeper of the faith and the repository of God's Grace.  Information like this wouldn't have been lost. 

But let's look at it theologically.  As a Catholic, and a faithful one, I know you and I can speak the same language.  My apologies to those protestants who will read this with their eyebrows furrowed trying to figure out what I'm saying.  I'm happy to translate as needed, but I know SC will know what I'm talking about.

Sacrifice.

The bible, we know, is divided (quite condescendingly) into "old" and "new" testaments and although Martin Luther made it popular to dismiss the Jewish scriptures as oldy moldy stories, good for knowing the power of God, the RCC has always maintained the bible in its entirety is but one sacred source of divine knowledge.  As one source, no one part of it is more or less important than another, even if the stories and information contained therein are more or less well known.  Catholics know that the roots of the sacrifice of the Mass are as deep as the very first stories in scripture - the sacrifices of Cain and Abel.  The big connection is of course the Passover and the sacrifice of the perfect lamb for the sake of the safety of the inhabitants of those homes with the blood of the lamb covering the door and the events of the meal to be executed just so.  Because yhwh traditionally requires a sacrifice and is ever so merciful that he would allow a scapegoat in lieu of the real perpetrator, Catholics know there needs to be a pure victim for immolation and a valid priest to offer the sacrifice.  Because the man/god character of Jesus fulfills both roles, the church can be satisfied offering the lesser requirement of bread and wine reminiscent of our mysterious friend Melchizedek way back in Genesis (holy cow, google chrome spell check recognizes that name). 

Anyway, the sacrifice of the mass can only be accomplished if the man/god character was the perfect sacrificial lamb as well as the perfect priest.  Without a sacrifice ywhw would still require a scapegoat, and because Paul was determined to make his religion no longer dependent upon Jewish rituals, he encouraged a new rituals.  The breaking of the passover bread became the ritual of the "new covenant," the very last in a line of covenants.  Without Jesus' sacrifice, there would be no covenant to end all covenants and the new religion wouldn't have something over the old one - the perfect sacrifice to end all sacrifices (well, kinda). 

So he had to be sacrificed and betrayal is as good a way as any to show the love of god and the enemy's power.  Besides, the Jesus story is such a nice mimic of the Horus story that death and resurrection had to be included in some way and no hero dies an old man, incontinent and struggling with dementia. 
Changed Change Reason Date
velkyn excellent post, let's see if SC can comprehend it. December 21, 2011, 11:59:29 AM