Karma reasons for concrete message

abbysometh1ng

• Darwins +12/-0

When my son died in October, I found a few thousand dollars from a fundraiser that was given for him by his friends towards the end of his life. He never had a chance to use it, but had hidden it in a small bag in his closet.  Nobody knew that it was there, just me.  I pondered what to do with this money…it was raised for Joe by people who wanted to make his life just a little easier.

Now, I could really use a new ATV and I had paid for many of his bills in the preceding months. I had paid for half his funeral costs. I had lost my paycheck for over 8 months to care for him.  I could easily justify it to myself that this money should really be MY money if I wanted it to be. But I felt that this money was given for a purpose…and that purpose was not to benefit ME).

So I decided to give the money to a woman who had young kids and whose husband had recently been diagnosed with advanced lung cancer. She was struggling financially and I knew that it hurt her when she couldn’t provide her kids with the little things that mean so much to children.  I gave it to her in a way that made it very clear that the money was not mine and that it was given to her because I thought that Joe would have approved.  I was not interested in her gratefulness or obligation; I just wanted to make her life a little more bearable.  The gift was not from me, but was from my son, after his death. 

As an atheist, I like to put $ where I think it will do the most good.  I do not need a god to instruct me to do this.  I will help where I can, when I can.

I could be wrong on this, but this tithing thing…isn’t that a throwback to the times when it fell solely on the churches to financially support the elderly, sick, or poor? Do they do that now to a significant extent?  It seems to me that the government has taken over many of the costs that the churches used to use the tithing money for… I just get a bad taste in my mouth when I hear about tithing to an institution that has obvious wealth, no taxes, and seems to be using the bulk of their money to further their own agenda.

Changed Change Reason Date
wright Altruism AND honoring your son's wishes; well done December 24, 2013, 03:40:47 PM
lotanddaughters +1 December 24, 2013, 04:52:03 PM
Emily Nice. December 24, 2013, 05:06:09 PM
xyzzy For all the right reasons; w/o threat, or promise of reward December 24, 2013, 06:46:56 PM