Karma reasons for concrete message

RubyLeo

• Darwins +13/-0

Hello, I just stumbled upon this.  I had never heard of a Tulpa until this thread. I was intrigued so I did a bit of reading.

I thought you (the OP) - and others - might find the following op-ed in the New York Times interesting:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/15/opinion/luhrmann-conjuring-up-our-own-gods.html?_r=0

In the article, the author describes a young man, Jack, who worked hard to create his own Tulpa, a fox in his case.  She also points out some similarities between creating a Tulpa, and a desire to have a personal relationship with God (or at least the modern church emphasizing that):

"The mere fact that people like Jack find it intuitively possible to have invisible companions who talk back to them supports the claim that the idea of an invisible agent is basic to our psyche. But Jack’s story also makes it clear that experiencing an invisible companion as truly present — especially as an adult — takes work: constant concentration, a state that resembles prayer.

It may seem paradoxical, but this very difficulty may be why evangelical churches emphasize a personal, intimate God."

Anyway, just some food for thought.  :)
Changed Change Reason Date