Karma reasons for concrete message

skeptic54768

• Darwins +53/-443

So, since I believe in God's existence but am not able to provide an empirical evidence of this belief I see myself as faced with the choice of remaining a theist or becoming an atheist.  I've tried atheism in the past and always felt "empty" even when trying it for about a month. 

Sincerely,

OldChurchGuy

Sigh.

OldChurchGuy, I like you, I really do. I have respect for your almost endless courtesy and think that you are an intelligent man. And with that in mind, I still have to say the paragraph quoted above is absolute nonsense.

Beliefs do not have an on/off switch - either you believe something or you don't. How do you "try" atheism? If you believe in a god of any sort, by definition you are not an atheist, and I cannot for the life of me imagine how you can "try atheism" like it's a shirt you're thinking of buying. 

I'm not saying that you are lying, but if you think that you can just shrug beliefs on and off - or worse, that WE can - then you still have no clue what we're talking about here. It's not my intention to be hurtful to you, but I'm kind of floored that you said (and presumably believe) this.

Shortest version possible - belief or lack thereof is not a choice.

So if belief is not a choice, how do you expect theists to become atheists?

You walked right into that conundrum.
Changed Change Reason Date
pianodwarf Are you really that stupid? May 29, 2014, 05:56:12 AM