Karma reasons for concrete message

biggribblymonster

• Darwins +4/-0

I'm going to presume that holybuckets has walked away from this particular thread but I'll still bite.....
I can only speak for myself as undoubtedly there are a myriad of reasons people refer to the Mosaic Laws in order to build a case against Christianity. I can only speak for myself.
As an ex-fundy, evangelical I was steeped in the belief of the inerrancy of the bible even to the point of young earth creationism (hell, I had a subscription to Creation Science magazine  :o)
What this means, perhaps more than many of the regular contributors, is that I understand the principles that underpin Christianity and why it believes what it does. And believe me it is utterly and unequivocally built upon the OT.
I'll endeavour to keep this short (& simple....)
*God creates mankind
*Mankind disobeys God, get expelled from paradise to live & die in sin
*God, through the Mosaic covenant, establishes the laws by which his chosen people, the Hebrews, will live (including the various punishments that are so often touted in these forums - stoning for wearing different cloths, picking up sticks, speaking back to your parents, forcing rapees to marry the rapist etc)
*Those who transgressed (& weren't summarily executed) were required to provide a covering for their sins through the sacrifice of various animals - doves, lambs, bulls etc depending on the nature & severity of their crime. This sacrifice was only a temporary covering and had to be repeated. It's all there - Numbers, Leviticus, Deuteronomy
* The sacrifice of Christ was just this - a covering of man's sins for all time. Hence the term Lamb of God, as well the covering of the blood at Passover to stop the wrath of God and so forth
* So when a Christian refers to the new dispensation of Grace under Christ they are NOT in fact stating that the old laws have been done away with but that they were fulfilled in Christ's perfection, which is the only reason his sacrifice on the cross is sufficient to cover the sins of mankind (refer to Christ specifically stating that "not one jot or tittle of the Law would be changed")
* Therefore the all loving, omniscient and omnipotent saviour that you proclaim as Lord is the EMBODIMENT of the hideous, brutal, savage, homophobic, misogynistic, genocidal, infanticidal laws laid down by bronze age sheepherders as they wandered around the Sinai desert.
QED (thus it is proven): without the OT you do not have the concept of sin & separation from Jehovah. No separation leads to no need to reconcile a fallen creation with its creator and ultimately no need for Christ to die on the cross.
So holybuckets do you now understand why some of us point out the horrific nature of the Mosaic Laws? Anyone who tries to remove the OT from consideration completely undercuts the most fundamental rationale behind Christianity. We clear?
Changed Change Reason Date
William YES! OT God & NT God are the same God. You make the case well. May 27, 2013, 06:33:35 AM
Anfauglir Well argued point May 28, 2013, 07:35:22 AM
Energized Excellent. May 28, 2013, 07:46:47 PM