Karma reasons for concrete message

Boots

• Darwins +85/-0

Please forgive me for being too lazy to read all 31 pages of this thread, and smite me if I bring up something that was in those 31 pages.

Here is one reason I opine that belief in god *is* a bad thing: it lends itself to what I call "moral immaturity."  The fact that you believe you have an invisible and omnipresent being who is watching everything you do and think and is aware of all your shortcomings gives you incredible incentive to do what this being wants--particularly since you can be damned for eternity for failing to comply.  No matter how hard you try, you will never, EVER do good or forego evil simply because it's the right thing to do, because god is ALWAYS WATCHING YOU.  You may have the purest soul in the world, but if you help the old lady across the street, you know god saw it and has the warm fuzzies.

I, on the other hand, am certain there is no such entity.  I am certain that when I die, I shall become worm food and my consciousness will cease to exist.  Therefore, I am free to actually do good deeds because I know I can make the world a better place, because that's the right thing to do.  Period.  I behave in a responsible, non-harmful, and (to the best of my ability) beneficial way regardless of who is watching, or not watching.

A theist can never be as morally mature as a non-theist.
Changed Change Reason Date
Samothec very well said and so very true May 04, 2013, 02:24:08 PM