Karma reasons for concrete message

jetson

Administrator

• Darwins +170/-6

Jayb, I just wanted to clarify that it is not illegal to be racist, or sexist.  It might be illegal to refuse a seat on a public bus based on race, or to skip a job applicant because of race, but racism is not illegal.  The United States has plenty of racists alive and well.  That's all I wanted to point out.

I would not support any sort of law against religion.  I would support completely secular laws, and a complete and distinct separation of religious beliefs, from societies rules and laws.  I am personally fed up with the worn out mantra from Christians that proclaim "the U.S. is  based on Judeo-Christian principles."  I've even conceded that it may well be true, but I don't give two shits.  It's time to remove those outdated principles, and replace them with something more secular, and modern.  You know, without the woo!

I've often asked people about these "principles" that we started out with, and as expected, they don't want to rewind the clock - they simply want to foist those old principles around current societies.  Societies that were unheard of back then in terms of mixed families, same-sex families, single parenting, grand-parent homesteading, etc.  The principles must change to keep up with the changing family structures and society in general.  Attitudes have changed so dramatically, it's not even worth talking about - but they insist on clinging to the old ways?

And again, this is a daunting task, to say the least.  But it has to start somewhere, and the attention to atheism is fairly strong right now - at least to those paying attention.  Admittedly, many moderate believers are fairly clueless about the "new atheism" brought in by the likes of Hitchens, Dawkins, Harris, and Dennett.  Perhaps we atheists active online today are the next front line?  We're at least talking to each other, and we seem to agree that there is harm coming directly from religious based ideologies.

Changed Change Reason Date
Mr. Blackwell Indeed *raps fist upon the table* November 27, 2011, 11:05:09 PM