Karma reasons for concrete message

jdawg70

• Darwins +317/-6

This has come a bit in the thread featuring JuneBug, and I wanted to get your opinions specifically on the type of mental illness that comes about due to a chemical inbalance in the brain.

There is a very big distinction made between mental illness and brain injury (from external trauma). Is this distinction valid? Should a chemical inbalance be considered a physical injury, even though it comes about for no obvious reason?

I ask because I wonder, if no such distinction was made would there be less stigma attached to having this type of injury/illness?
In the same way that being born with one lung is the same injury as losing a lung - insofar as the current state of the person in question is "missing a lung" - then no, no distinction should be made between a mental illness caused by external trauma and mental illness caused by internal misfunction.  My iPod is broken in the same way whether I sever the cable on the hard drive or the manufacturer severed it.  The problem set is the same; the solutions for fixing the iPod in either case are all the same.  The origin of the malfunction is immaterial.

But I'm not sure that there would be a reduction in social stigma frankly.  There will still be people who think that the person is being 'punished' for some ill-defined reason; there will still be insensitive clods out there that simply shun abnormalities out of irrational fear; there will still be people who will refuse to treat someone with mental illness as a person, choosing instead to treat them as charity cases.  In short, I suspect (but do not know) that the number of people who stigmatize the mentally ill in accordance to how they acquired the illness is small.
Changed Change Reason Date
magicmiles thoughtful. May 01, 2013, 01:24:48 AM