Karma reasons for concrete message

lotanddaughters

• Darwins +131/-27

So, to atheists; would you have any problems staying a night alone in a reputedly haunted place, something along the lines of the Amityville house (yes, I know about allegations of faking, but some similar place!)? Would you happily challenge any supernatural deity to mess with your aircraft as you step on-board?

To be honest with you, I am definitely an atheist and a non-believer of "dead apes who interact with this world".

But, for some reason, when I spend the night in a building(which is at least 99.9% of the time), the perceived age of the building does make a difference on how afraid I am of ghosts coming to attack or at least spook the fuck out of me. The best explanation that I can come up with is that we have a fear that is evolutionarily embedded in us to fear the dark and/or being alone. I will, even as a vocal atheist, tell you that if I spend the night alone in a creaky-ass house that was built in 1889, I will be significantly more afraid of ghosts than I will be spending the night alone in my house that was built in 1983.

Once again, I do not believe in ghosts in my rational everyday life. But, when I stayed with a friend who had a creaky-ass house that was built in the 1920's, my fear would consist of, I will guess, about 90% ghosts and 10% unwelcome imaginary physical intruders.

Like I said, the best explanation that I can come up with is that we have a fear that is evolutionarily embedded in us to fear the dark and/or being alone. Combine that primeval fear with our modern intelligence and imagination, and my guess is that you get a spooked ape like me who thinks he is rational.

Do any of you atheists here have any similar messed-up quirks that defy rationalism?
Changed Change Reason Date
Anfauglir Yep. Me too. August 28, 2013, 02:42:57 AM
jynnan tonnix me too August 27, 2013, 10:42:39 PM