Karma reasons for concrete message

lotanddaughters

• Darwins +48/-20

ev·i·dence [ évvid'nss ]   

1.sign or proof: something that gives a sign or proof of the existence or truth of something, or that helps somebody to come to a particular conclusion
2.proof of guilt: the objects or information used to prove or suggest the guilt of somebody accused of a crime
3.statements of witnesses: the oral or written statements of witnesses and other people involved in a trial or official inquiry

In light of #3 I don't understand how it can be said there is absolutely no evidence for God.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/theory

Definition of THEORY

1: the analysis of a set of facts in their relation to one another

2: abstract thought : speculation

3: the general or abstract principles of a body of fact, a science, or an art <music theory>

a : a belief, policy, or procedure proposed or followed as the basis of action <her method is based on the theory that all children want to learn>
b : an ideal or hypothetical set of facts, principles, or circumstances —often used in the phrase in theory <in theory, we have always advocated freedom for all>

5: a plausible or scientifically acceptable general principle or body of principles offered to explain phenomena <the wave theory of light>

a : a hypothesis assumed for the sake of argument or investigation
b : an unproved assumption : conjecture  
c : a body of theorems presenting a concise systematic view of a subject <theory of equations>

Theistic weasel:

"I light of #6b, I don't understand how the Theory of Evolution can't be best described as an Unproved Assumption of Evolution."

The key is that statements of witnesses can be offered as evidence, but if their testimony isn't credible, it gets tossed as garbage, and rightfully so. When someone properly examines statements of "witnesses", they are also examining if they can conclude whether or not these people are actually witnesses.

Even the word "evidence" can have different meanings. When a side of an argument offers "evidence", it is not necessarily conclusive evidence.

Changed Change Reason Date
Azdgari Good explanation of the definitional weaseling July 04, 2013, 09:02:07 PM