Karma reasons for concrete message

Historicity

• Darwins +80/-2

It was written about 1451 B.C.
No basis for that statement.  it is the fallacy of the Argumentum ex Ano.  (Pulled out of the anus.)

(1) the city of jericho will be rebuilt: 1 in 2. (2) One leader, who will be a man, will rebuild the city: 1 in 10. (3) the leader's oldest son will die at the start: 1 in 100. and (4) the leader's youngest son will die at the finish: 1 in 100. Therefore the total probability for this prophecy is 1 in 200,000.
More invented numbers.
These values were carefully calculated and justified by a respected group of historians
That's a lie.

Tyre                         7.5 x 10^7 (Ezekiel 26:3-16)
Well, that's what happens when I don't keep up with the evening news.  Nebuchadnezzar has finally nuked Tyre.  BTW, in 29:18 Ezekiel admitted his prophecy was a failure.  He followed it with a prophesy that Nebuchadnezzar would ravage Egypt and the population would be driven out of the land for 40 years before they trickled back to resettle it.  That prophesy failed, too.

Given the back and forth warfare in the ancient Middle East it was always a safe bet to prophesy a city would eventually be conquered.  If it didn't happen it still might.  Let's look at a few facts about the Book of Joshua.

Jericho had already been destroyed and there were a few survivors living on the ruins.
http://dqhall59.com/old_jericho.htm
Historians credited the destruction of fortifications in Southern Canaan from circa 1550 BC to the Egyptians.  This was when the last city walls of Jericho were destroyed.

The Book of Joshua says Gibeon surrendered to him.  But Gibeon was founded in the Iron Age, about 1200 BC.
http://dqhall.com/gibeon/

Megiddo, allegedly destroyed by Joshua.  The ruins contain a statue base dedicated to Pharoah Ramses VI who reigned 1145 to 1137 BCE.
http://www.archaeowiki.org/Bronze_Statue_Base_of_Ramesses_VI,_Megiddo
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ramesses_VI

There was a battle at Megiddo about 1450 but it was the Egyptians against the Canaanites -- no Hebrews around at all.  It ended with the surrender but not destruction of the city.
The ancient Egyptian account gives the date of the battle as the 21st day of the first month of the third season, of Year 23 of the reign of Thutmose III. It has been claimed that this was April 16, 1457 BC according to the Middle Chronology, although other publications place the battle in 1482 BC or 1479 BC. The Battle of Megiddo was an Egyptian victory and resulted in a rout of the Canaanite forces, which fled to safety in the city of Megiddo. Their action resulted in the subsequent lengthy Siege of Megiddo. ... The city was besieged for seven months and the King of Kadesh escaped. Tuthmoses set up siege-works and encircled the town, eventually forcing its occupants to surrender. At Karnak it is recorded that the victorious army took home 340 prisoners, 2,041 mares, 191 foals, 6 stallions, 924 chariots, 200 suits of armor, 502 bows, 1,929 cattle, 22,500 sheep, and the royal armor, chariot and tent-poles of the King of Megiddo.  The city and citizens were spared.

Conclusions:

Ezekiel was a court sycophant giving prophecies that coddled the king.

The Book of Joshua is a fraud.  It was written at least 500 years after the alleged events.  I assume there was somebody named Joshua sometime but he didn't conquer a bunch of cities.  The book is a propaganda piece.  It's the same as when there is a shocking murder some guy in a slum will brag that he's the bad, bad dude that did it.  Then people will step back when he swaggers down the sidewalk.  Since it gets some details of the rebuilding right, the logical answer is it was written after the rebuilding.

I'm not going into the prophecies of Jesus in detail here.  Most all of the alleged fulfillments only happen in Matthew and Matthew is quite, how shall we say, a fabulist[1]

I will note that at the head you said, "All of the prophecies told in the old testament have come true."   That's amazing.  The Messiah is to be the King of Israel, bring the Jews all back to Israel, enslave the Palestinians and make them like it, and bring world peace. 

Again, I forgot to turn on the 6 o'clock news today so I didn't notice that that happened.
 1. In case that went over your head I mean bulls*****r.  See Matthew 27:52 for an example that everyone would have to have seen and forgotten completely immediately.
Changed Change Reason Date
screwtape good post October 28, 2011, 08:20:03 AM
kin hell matt was a "fabulist" :) October 27, 2011, 07:36:16 PM