Karma reasons for concrete message

Seppuku

• Darwins +125/-1

Okay I'll give this one a shot.

1º Why are monkeys still here?

We didn't evolve from monkeys, we share ancestors. Think of it like this, many families have cousins - it's the family tree that has split. Some animals have barely evolved and are fairly prehistoric, why's this? Why have they not evolved much? Look into natural selection, it's all about the survival of the fittest. If you are well adapted to your environment and your environment doesn't change, you'll generally keep all those useful traits, because they've helped your survival.

2º Why is the universe so complex?

Not really to do with evolution. You're not going to attempt the watchmaker argument are you? It's so complex because it's designed. Complex things can't happen due to randomisation? Well, specific to evolution (as we're talking about evolution), it's not randomisation as most would have you believe, it's more like a slot machine, you pull the arm and you see 'Jackpot' on one, so you hit 'hold' and you pull the arm again, no Jackpots, you try again and then you get another. It's a case of randomisation but keeping the useful traits, but you'll also keep some of the useless ones too, the appendix used to be useful once upon a time, but now all it's good for is randomly saying, "I'm going to try and kill you now". Humans don't use their appendix anymore, but other animals do.

3º Why women?

I would put that down to variation in the gene pool. If you asexually reproduce you're replicating the same genes. The same happens with inbreeding and inbreeding has a lot of disadvantages, for a healthy gene pool you need genetic variation, for example, if you've got a genetic disorder, if you mate with somebody without it, there's less of a chance of your offspring from getting it.

4º Why the necessity for food?

We need energy to function (like a car need petrol), cells need to be replaced, including the white blood cells in our immune system. We also grow. This is a pretty silly question.

5º Why is there right from wrong/good from evil?|

Objectively? There isn't. It's a concept we've created, why would we need to create it? We have empathy for a start, but why do we need the emotion 'empathy'? Because we are a social species, primates rely on their own societies to survive, to look out for each other and to have actions we shun as a society and actions we praise and it's best for our survival. Humans aren't the only primates who do this, but our system is a lot more sophisticated, but then we are more intelligent. We've reasoned a lot of systems of ethics over many, many, many years.

6º Why emotions & consciousness/why didn't we remain like the animals(unable to choose right from wrong)?

But animals have emotions and consciousness. Heck, animals are even able to choose right from wrong and heck, even feel guilty when they do wrong. We used to have a cat who used to like playing with mice, when the mouse died it'd spend the rest of the day moping around and feeling sad, he never tried to kill the mice, only play with them. A tigress maybe sad when its lost its cubs. Heck, I've even seen a duck panic because its missing a chick. Sometimes you'll see animals show a sense of compassion, love and various other traits humans have. Some animals have their own concepts of what's a 'right' action and what's a 'wrong' action. Generally they won't hurt those they love. Heck, there's a type of crocodile that'll foster the young of other crocs and will go out of their way to protect them and make sure that no croc is left behind when on the move. That crocodile doesn't have to care for any young that they've no produced.

Heck, not all humans have the ability to choose right from wrong.

7º Why ability to reproduce?

For the survival of the species. We die and if we reproduce then we keep the gene pool going.

8º Why is there only one habitable planet?

We don't know this. Heck, I remember reading not so long ago about the discovery of an earth-like planet that might be habitable, I think it was in the Andromeda Galaxy.

9º Why does sex feel so good?

I would put that down to encouraging reproduction. It's instinctive, we need to reproduce. 

10º Why are the opposite sexes attracted to each other?

Instincts. I'd say they're attracted for 2 possible reasons, sex and for companionship. There are a certain number of animals in the world who'll seek companionship and for that instinct you could suggest it exists for raising young. Of course, not every couple ends up doing that, heck, even in the animal kingdom. Heck, companionship doesn't only occur in opposite sexes or for the purpose of sex...heck, not even between the same species - humans aren't the only ones who make friends.

11º Why do we have dominion over the animals?

Not all of the animals. We have dominion because we're so well adapted to this world, our intelligence surpasses that of any other animal, it allows us to think in ways they might not. It means we have figured out how to farm animals instead of hunting them (as an example).

12º How do you explain Polonium 218?

You're going to have to explain more. It's a radioactive material?

13º Why life/why didn't we remain atoms or rocks or whatever...?

'Why' is really a human attempt to try and explain their existence. 'How' on the other hand, we're talking about chemical reactions and in the right conditions they create life, it is abiogenesis, but that's not evolution. Why do we exist? Does there have to be a reason? Again, these questions aren't to do with evolution.

14º Why has macro-evilution never been observed in human history?

Well think about it, for macro-evolution to occur we're not talking about in the space of 100 years, or even 1000 years, we're talking about something a lot more large-scale. But in human history, a certain level of evolution can have happened, but we've not noticed it given our short life spans or because we've not documented anything like this. However, we can note evolutionary changes made through selective breeding, we've picked traits we like in animals and bred them to create an offspring with those traits, it can be a cow that produces more milk or a dog that runs faster (like a greyhound) or it could be cosmetic like certain pedigree cats. A bulldog, for example, is not a dog that came about through natural selection, it's something we've managed to selectively breed to create that particular breed of dog, it has no real evolutionary advantages, particularly as they tend to require human intervention during child birth. For nature to make permanent changes, it's a lot slower process than selective breeding.

15º Why is the oldest tree only 4000 years old(coinciding with the flood)?

There's a flood myth in several cultures around the world. Some speculate a flood could have happened, not necessarily one created by the God of the bible (the bible flood myth is essentially a rip off of the Mesopotamian one anyway). The answer is, I don't know. It could well be coincidence? They do happen. 4,000 years old is only an approximation, if the flood was 4,135 years ago and this tree is 4,265 years old, then it could be older. But we simple don't know.

16º Where are all the transitional fossils from the millions & billions & gazillions of animals & humans that were supposedly evolving over millions & billions & gazillions of years?

Some are in museums, some are kept in labs and I suspect a vast majority are still underground, I mean there's so much underground we've not actually explored it's unbelievable. But many transitional fossils HAVE been discovered. All life is a transition of another. However, there is a particularly interesting living specimen and that's the lungfish. It is a fish, it fins has hardened so it can crawl along the ground and its swim bladder acts as a lung, these can be found in hot countries like The Congo where during the hot seasons water tends to dry up and these fish have to find a new source of water. With their lung they can breathe out of water (they still have gills for breathing in water) and their hardened fins means they can crawl around when they need to find a new home. I would argue this is a part of a transition from 'fish' to 'amphibian'.

17º Why can no example be given for a single genetic mutation or an evolutionary process which can be seen to increase the beneficial information in the genome?

I just gave an example of a genetic mutation that has been beneficial.

18º Can someone document just one 100% verifiable transitionary fossil that proves that one species actually changed into another completely different species?

I haven't got the time to dig out all of the research, but this website might be useful, though I've not looked at it in any depth.
http://transitionalfossils.com/

19º What about the population problem with evilution?

What about it? You seem to think it's some all governing force that makes sure there's balance in the world. Usually there's ecosystems that keep population in check. However, in humans becoming as smart as we are, we've managed to surpass many dangers in the world and overpopulate the earth and messed up our ecosystems. Yes, animals that haven't been able to adapt to the human presence have been wiped out and for others our emotion called 'empathy' has allowed us to spare some species. Our evolution has managed to significantly increase our chances of survival and other creatures haven't been able to compete, we know how to defend against any natural predators we might have had.

20º How did new biochemical pathways(which involve multiple enzymes working together in sequence) originate?

My biology is hazy on this one. But anything that works in sequence can come about through trial and error. Evolution itself involves a process of trial and error.

21º How do you explain the Fibonacci sequence/the number "e" & the number Pi?

We're talking mathematics here, not evolution. Pi is related to the circumference of a circle. The Fibonacci sequence is also mathematics.

22º Why do all humans, at least once in their life, wonder about a supreme being?

Humans are constantly trying to understand and explain the universe. A deity is an explanation people have had for it, but it's pretty much engrained into our society, so it's hard not to think about it. Heck, with Santa Claus so engrained into our society and so many saying he's real, we have wondered about him and have believed him to be real.

With the human brain and human intelligence, we also have an imagination. Generally where there are things we can't explain but wish to, it can be easier to conclude it was a supreme being, we actually call this the 'god of the gaps' argument. Once upon a time people didn't understand how the rain works, hence they believed a deity made it rain and different cultures as a result believed they could get this supreme being to make it rain and different cultures tried different things. The rain dance is one, ritual sacrifice is another. But it's all superstition. We know how rain works now, we know of the water cycle. But we have a habit of personifying things (not just creating deities, but in other things too). I do not know how the idea of a deity was first conjured, but there could be a number of reasons why we've personified the world around us in such away. Heck, even the sun and moon have been deified before now and we know they're not deities - one's a ball of fire and the other is a big rock. As said, people will attempt to find ways of explaining things they do not understand.

Oh and by the way, it's spelled 'evolution'. But if you want to play the same petty game of other Christians, I could start referring to the bible as the Lie-ble. But it'd be pretty pathetic of me.
Changed Change Reason Date
kaziglu bey For destroying his woo with natural explanations. December 23, 2012, 09:00:43 AM