Karma reasons for concrete message

screwtape

Administrator

• Darwins +703/-28

Please consider that no matter how many rules and regulations are imposed on any given activity...It will never be enough to actually prevent people from working their way around it or ignoring them or outright breaking them.

Congratulations.  You have just argued away every law on the books.

...there are still vastly more people killed or injured by the improper use of automobiles.

Why do you think that might be?  I can think of a few reasons.

Here's another quandary: there are vastly more laws and regulations regarding commercial aircraft than cars, and there there vastly fewer airline accidents that kill people.  Why do you think that might be?

I know that vastly more people use automobiles everyday than guns...

you're starting to get it...

...but one thing I have never seen is a chart comparing the % of gun related death (excluding suicide) vs. automobile related death.

Oh gosh, I wonder where someone might find something like that?  Well, it's not sitting right in front of you, so I suppose it couldn't possibly exist out there anywhere.  You've done your due dilligence (by that I mean, "absolutely nothing"), so it's probably fair to give up and just assume you're right.

You know, if you put forth a little more effort, you might find some acutal data.  Or not, given that the NRA lobbied to have congress make it illegal for the CDC to study gunshot injuries.[1]

As a % of the number of automobiles and guns in circulation...which one actually causes more damage?

Now you're off track.  You are trying to justify a forgone conclusion rather than work through the problem rationally.  Try again.

Maybe I should start an automobile fail thread.

It is unlikely that would help you.
 1. http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/science/2012/12/gun_violence_research_nra_and_congress_blocked_gun_control_studies_at_cdc.html
Changed Change Reason Date
Jag Well said November 22, 2013, 12:06:16 PM