Karma reasons for concrete message

screwtape

Administrator

• Darwins +708/-28

^ I got that too.  She book ends a practical request with godtalk.  I think her last paragraph is telling:
"God knew this before we moved in so I'm not stressed."

That's what it is all about.  It is an intimidating situation and she's scared.  So by talking to her imaginary friend using soothing ideas - someone powerful is in charge, everything is fine, I'm not stressed - she feels better.  It is a security blanket.

I think there is power in prayer.  It is just not the magical power most people think.  It is mental power.  It helps you focus on ideas you value - lord, I pray for patience and strength - and remind you how you want to be.  In 7 Habits of Highly Successful People, Covey talks about creating things twice, once in your head and once in reality.  Pro athletes use the technique as do the Thunderbirds.  Picture thowing a perfect fastball.  Visualize through all the motions perfectly in your mind.  Picture flying your F-16.  Visualize all the maneuvers perfectly in your mind.  That parallels prayer.  Pray for patience, then be patient, because you have already visualized it and experienced it in your mind.

I made a sort of secular prayer I try to say every day (or more) to remind me of the kind of person I want to be.  I have no way to measure whether it works.  But I'm hopeful.

Changed Change Reason Date
Jag I figured this out during a brief flirtation with Wicca February 20, 2013, 11:53:47 AM