Karma reasons for concrete message

Willie

• Darwins +120/-1

I don't plan on forcing my children to believe in anything, when they're older i will present them with my point of view and let them make their own choices. I still harbor some feelings of disappointment towards my own parents for never even giving me an alternative to their views. So i don't want to repeat that with my children. As for my wife we've been married for 9 years, and we survived me being a cop for 5 and in the military for 3, so i don't see this as being too big of a thing for her to accept, but i know she wont be too happy about it.
It's great that you want to avoid indoctrinating your kids and let them make their own decisions when ready. But I don't think that's entirely realistic because you can be sure that not everyone will grant them that kindness. They WILL be exposed to indoctrination, not least of which is the subtle kind that is pervasive even in secular media. The kind that sort of passively goes along with the idea that religiosity is associated with all that is good and "normal", and that religious beliefs have a sort of privileged position that is above criticism. At least expose them to ideas about critical thinking and the ways that people deceive themselves into believing untrue things, even if not directly confronting religion. Debunking homeopathy and moon hoax theories might be a good place to start. Maybe an occasional episode of Cosmos. I know that show is pretty dated, but Sagan was the best at showing the value of critical thinking and the harmfulness of superstition, but without being too insensitive to people's emotional and cultural attachment to religion. Sagan was more about encouraging a passion for what is real than about attacking what is false. I like Dawkins, Hitchens, PZ Myers, etc., but I think Sagan was better at reaching those who are not already members of the skeptical choir.
Changed Change Reason Date
Samothec excellent advice December 21, 2011, 10:59:03 PM