Karma reasons for concrete message

wright

• Darwins +79/-1

Even if you have a huge hate on for what some people do with their lives, you know that they will burn in hell for all eternity.  Why the need to make their 70 odd years here a misery as well? 

For some haters, eternity is not enough.  They demand that people suffer for eternity plus some more.  How can you carry that much hatred inside you?

It's a way of further cementing group loyalty: not only are believers the Chosen People, delivered to eternal reward and from eternal punishment, but they have the assurance of their earthly enemies being punished forever.

Though FWIW, I doubt that most followers of religions that include eternal punishment really stop to think about what that entails. If they did, I think they'd recoil from it, so they compartmentalize, the better to keep the security blanket of their faith.

His point is that simply by living, we've beaten the odds.  I don't disagree with that, but we shouldn't act like aborted fetuses are nothing more than a bit of tissue, either.  They beat the odds and formed a combination that would have resulted in a person, if it had been left alone.

I'm not saying that's an excuse to try to ban abortion, but we shouldn't pretend that it doesn't matter.

I agree. That reasoning certainly drives many anti-choice advocates, and to effectively counter them we pro-choice types need to understand them.

Changed Change Reason Date