Karma reasons for concrete message

Astreja

• Darwins +280/-3

The Bible says sin is what separates us from God. Jesus said I am the way, the truth and the life, no man cometh unto the Father but by me.

That's fine for people who believe what the Bible says, but I don't happen to be one of those people.  A pantheist might say that the universe itself is divine, and that there is no separation.  A panentheist, on the other hand, would see the universe as being saturated with god-ness, and that the divine extends beyond the universe.  A polytheist might ask, "Which god?"  A Sufi might say "There are as many paths to God as there are souls on Earth."  Meanwhile, I'm working on the problem of why science can't find any physical traces of gods and wondering what they could possibly be, if not matter or energy.

The created can't say to the creator, what are you doing, I want it this way. But then again they can, at the cost of eternal separation from God, and I think you know what that means.

If I'm understanding you correctly here, humanity's supposed "free will" is constrained by the will of your god, who is in essence saying "My way or the highway."

What I do not understand is the fixation on "Figure out what I want and do it while you're alive, O mortals, because I'm not giving you any more chances -- Whatever you choose, it's forever." That's a rather draconian way of doing things, and puts humanity at the mercy of whatever religions and religious leaders are prominent in their part of the world.

If people's eternal souls were actually at stake here (which I doubt, but I'll play along for the moment), one would hope  that a god would use something more effective than the Bible to get the point across.  It's a real dog's breakfast of ideas, drawing from Sumerian, Akkadian, Canaanite, Egyptian and Greek myth and poetry, with numerous missing originals and a theological divide between Jesus and Paul of Tarsus regarding the validity of the Old Testament laws in the New Testament era.

I don't see any way to reconcile the ideas in the Bible with reality, so I've cast My vote for reality.  I'd love to get a real, live Talking Snakeā„¢, 'tho (Genesis 3).
Changed Change Reason Date
lotanddaughters Yeah. December 27, 2013, 01:59:55 PM
xyzzy Reality check December 27, 2013, 01:57:32 PM