Karma reasons for concrete message

pianodwarf

Global Moderator

• Darwins +208/-6

One other thing: the distinction between the actual definition of pedophilia[1] and Joe's version[2] is largely based in public ignorance of the term. It's not all that dissimilar to the distinction between a scientific theory and a colloquial "theory".
 1. regarding prepubescent children
 2. regarding anyone under the local legal age of consent

And the media doesn't help at all with this, either.  For example, I remember seeing an ep of "Law & Order: SVU" some time back that featured a middle-aged man married to a 17-year-old girl.  The captain of the SVU called this "legalized pedophilia".  Umm, no... the "child" is seventeen.  A typical seventeen-year-old girl is fully sexually developed.  (Anyone familiar with the Tanner scale?)  That's not pedophilia, but the media typically portrays it as though it is.

I regard this as rather seriously problematic, at least in our own society.  When you have an atmosphere in which everyone is overtly "agreed" that being sexually attracted to anyone under the age of majority constitutes "pedophilila", you have an environment that is ripe for giving men neurotic complexes over their having perfectly normal desires and feelings.  I don't have the smallest doubt but that there are probably, quite literally, millions of men in America who go thru their day-to-day lives quietly thinking to themselves that they must be sick, twisted, or depraved, when in fact nothing could be further from the truth.
Changed Change Reason Date