Karma reasons for concrete message

Graybeard

Global Moderator

• Darwins +534/-19

*snip*

Isn't that a tad bit harsh?
No, not really. You and I both know that "tulpae" are a construct. Both of us know they are unfalsifiable. I have made points and asked questions before and you ignored them. Were you "off topic" or just ignoring?

Whatever your answer, it is a comment on tulpaWikie. Believing this sort of thing that originated with illiterate and superstitious peasants who live in an oxygen-deprived area is unlikely to advance the cause of mankind. It seems one step behind the basics of Christianity.

First off, you're assuming i am an idiot.
Your spelling and vocabulary seem OK, your ability to explain the inexplicable is on song. Idiots usually have simpler delusions. I can't recall saying your an idiot.

Secondly it is off topic. (By a moderator i might add.)

How so? It's about tulpae. I am only a mod when I'm writing in green.

Lastly, this is the chatter section of the forum, its made for anything, right?

I think your analysis has let you down. If it is about anything then why is my post not "anything"? and how could it be "off-topic"?

EDIT: I might add, how exactly does a tulpa is defies laws, what laws?

Can we call it "the concept of tulpae? Is that OK with you? I mention this because if we don't someone will start thinking that they are real. Right: here's the magic and the defiance of physical laws:

From Wiki
Tulpa [...] often translated as "magical emanation",[3] "conjured thing" [4] and "phantom" [5] is a concept in mysticism of a being or object which is created through sheer spiritual or mental discipline alone. It is defined in Indian Buddhist texts as any unreal, illusory or mind created apparition. According to Alexandra David-NĂ©el, tulpas are "magic formations generated by a powerful concentration of thought." It is a materialized thought that has taken physical form and is usually regarded as synonymous to a thoughtform.[6]

More magic there than in Hogwarts, isn't there?

I mean, the brain can do all kinds of crazy stuff,

Were I to look for proof that the brain can do crazy stuff, I need only look for a defence or explanation of tulpae ; )

But on a more logical note, your sentence just above and the ones following (below), are simply saying "Wow! Who knows what the brain can do? No-one right?
Therefore there are tulpae/gods/pixies/ghosts/etc." It is the fallacy of the appeal to ignorance[1]and it doesn't wash.

[...] then there is all the other kinds of *sic* mental disorders that lead to normally impossible things (MPD, schizophrenia, etc).
Mental disorders do not lead to "normally impossible things." Untreated, they can be a serious illness that makes people believe they can do, and/or are experience, what you and I would call "normally impossible things" or, more technically, a delusion. Any "magic" is purely a subjective part of a delusional process. I cite tulpae as a prime example of what may be a self-induced delusion.

I did not come here as a "messiah" of tulpae (how would that even work?).

Well, you could start a thread that offered to answer questions about tulpae - Try a Jehovah's Witness or a Mormon who "just wants to answer your questions about Jesus." The word you want is not "messiah" but "missionary."

I only wanted a nice Q&A...

We give Q's and you give A's... As they don't exist, how could you answer?

If you feel like you must, lock this thread, its been derailed long enough anyway

I have explained that I am not, for the purpose of this thread, a Mod. and being as I have commented directly to you, the OP, I could not possibly use my position, it would be unjust. Also, I would not want to do that.

guess i will just start posting atheist stuff...

The forum is open to all ideas. I think that the overarching rule is something like, "Defend your position against all reasonable criticism whilst supplying good evidence."

However, and I have come across this before, a poster will rubbish the standard religions and then pronounce that there is substance in a particular fluffy-bunny type of alternative "woo" and (surprisingly) expect that it be taken seriously. They are often disappointed.

Edit to add:
A&A: I should probably have read jynnan tonnix's post before I wrote this. I now see that you are in your mid-teens. I like her post. It has a lot of good points in it. On the plus-side, it does mean that I took you to be somewhat older, which is a compliment to your writing abilities. I would simply urge you not to accept any claims of magical being or doings; to always ask, "What is the real reason?" and never to fall into the trap of the fallacy of the Argument from Ignorance.
 1. which is when someone says, "We don't know everything therefore fairies could well exist
Changed Change Reason Date
hickdive Thank goodness someone else sees the Emperor's nudity. September 30, 2013, 10:14:58 AM