Karma reasons for concrete message

Grimm

• Darwins +61/-1

tell me, Grimm, in honest and full detail: What food did you consume today? Start with breakfast, include all snacks, then lunch, dinner, supper etc. Please also advise what food scraps were thrown away in your household today.

Then enlighten us all with the positive, actual, tangible methods you have employed to assist those in the world who are hungry.

You self-righteous twat.

I'm going to skip the first bit-  I'm a reasonable, middle-class male in the US - and I am not these children.  Obviously, I eat - probably better than I should.  First world problems, and all that.

If you'd like to see the second:

- I am currently working on the technical side of a project to address the food desert in my hometown, a place where the elderly and poor are not able to reach food, even if they can afford to buy it.
- My daily work is with an organization devoted to taking care of and improving the quality of life of the at-risk elderly.  In order to qualify, you have to be nursing-home qualified and make less than 10k a year; most of these people have zero income, eat only when they attend our program, and had no medication, medical care, or hope before they came through our doors.
- I also provide technical support to several ancillary facilities that work with other programs, ranging from a free rural medical facility to several low-income senior centers and three alzheimer's units, among other items.
- Personally, I give to Child's Play and Doctors Without Borders, and have provided technical support for no cost to local physicians participating in the latter program.

How much more do I have to do to satisfy you?  Would you like my further list of last year's charitable giving?  Shall I discuss that my wife and I are adopting on moral and personal grounds, hoping to give kids a home that need one rather than just add more kids to the mix?  Shall I talk about my personal work in assisting the disabled with low-cost solutions for individual physical issues?  I can go on. 

You see, I live my life without God - I recognize that, in order to fix the issues within my reach, human beings have to step up and do something.  It isn't enough to pray about it or to make feelgood assertions about the benevolence of a deity; I have  moral imperitive to get off my ass and make a difference.  Without God, I must be good - no one else is out there to do it for me, and no one can forgive me for the things I don't do.

Can I help those kids?  Nope.  My reach isn't far enough, and my charitable capability is absolutely at its limit - and it will stay there.  As my limits move, I'll do more.

You and your wife assert a certain vicious statement of fact:  God answers prayers, and God always does what is best for the world.  If your God is omnicient, omnipotent, and omnibenevolent, how is it I can show you that picture?  Why does that exist?  Is human agency so very powerful that it can derail the wishes of an omnipotent deity?  Do you understand, perhaps, why I hold such anger to people who say platitudes like 'God's will is unknowable, but it's always for the best' when those kids are representative of a 'for the best' that I cannot even begin to imagine as 'good' in any sense of the word?

When I do what I do, it damn well isn't God showing up and helping these people - guess how many times they attribute my work to God?  I don't really give a damn personally, but it abrogates people of responsibility to do the same.  They slough off any sense of their own ability to make a difference by inserting a God that made all of my hard work, all of a doctor's hard work, all of a project manager's or a social worker's or a psychiatrist's or a nurse or a homecare CNA or a pharmacist's work moot.  People make a difference, not your God.

If you want to assert that abysmal pablum of the 'yes, no, maybe' God, then i'm not going to explain the jug-of-milk analogy - I'm going to show you starving children, and I'm going to ask why your God lets that happen. 
Changed Change Reason Date
screwtape heck yes March 21, 2012, 08:46:49 AM
velkyn excellent response to MM's excuses. March 21, 2012, 09:00:05 AM
Zankuu Sharp response. March 21, 2012, 09:10:46 AM
kaziglu bey Excellent examples of being Good without God. March 21, 2012, 09:20:13 AM
Seppuku Excellent post. I don't think I could agree any more. March 21, 2012, 01:35:22 PM
HalusN8er Fantastic! What a great response to MM's misunderstanding of March 29, 2012, 10:41:26 AM
Ivellios so true, if an all-loving god existed, no starving children May 02, 2012, 12:26:50 PM
EV Well written, and well justified. May 02, 2012, 02:49:46 PM
Aceluffy Well said. Give proper credit to human, not imaginary deity May 24, 2012, 08:31:21 AM
kcrady WHAM! Out of the park! July 21, 2012, 02:21:00 AM