Karma reasons for concrete message

Anfauglir

Global Moderator

• Darwins +408/-5

The slavery in the Bible was a part of culture they had to deal with.....

Where did that culture come from, Sky?  Given that everyone was a descendant of Adam and Noah, and that Yahweh was fully prepared to issue commandments about all kinds of trivia, how did that culture originate?  Specifically, within the culture of the followers of Yahweh (for who the rules on slavery were written).

What prevented Yahweh from making one of his commandments "thou shalt not keep slaves", as opposed to the (rather pointless) "have no other gods but me" - especially if there ARE no other gods.  Heck, he tells people not to wear poly-cotton blends.....but NOT to not keep slaves.

That is the very specific question that you are dancing away from.  Why did Yahweh allow a culture of slavery among his chosen people, if he did not approve of it, given the multiple commands he made about comparatively trivial issues?

The owner of my company uses a number of slaves.  I don't find any scripture against what he is doing either.

Your previous point was that slavery was a part of their culture at the time, so I asked why Yahweh let such a culture arise.  It appears you are saying that the lack of negative commentary from Yahweh on slavery means.....what?  That he approves of it?  Or that he regards it as so trivial an issue as to not be worth mentioning?  Can you clarify please, because as things stand I do not see how your response answers my questions.

Your definition of "Slavery" is a unique combination of "features" that you alone have defined......

And STILL you find yourself unable to answer the questions I actually asked.  You tried to apologise for the references to slavery in the garden by saying "well, that was their culture....." - so I asked why Yahweh let that culture develop.

And the simple question that I would like you to answer to make your position clear.

It appears you are saying that the lack of negative commentary from Yahweh on slavery means.....what?  That he approves of it?  Or that he regards it as so trivial an issue as to not be worth mentioning?  Can you clarify please, because as things stand I do not see how your response answers my questions.

If you list exactly what "features" of your definition of slavery you are averse to we can address if scriptures cover them or not.  Work for low pay, work for no money, boss won't let you eat while working, boss tells you where you must sleep, you can't leave in the middle of the day, no cell phone use, no food at your desk, what ever.

What ever you object to, I'm sure I can find legal examples on your block or in your house.
Fine.
My boss is not allowed to beat me.  I am not allowed to beat my staff.
I can walk away from my job at any time.  My boss cannot legally compel me to remain.

Make me laugh Sky.  Tell me where either of those happen in my house, or on my block.  Tell me where scripture tells me that beating a slave is wrong.  Tell me where scripture tells us that a slave can walk away, free and clear, whenever they want.

You won't of course.  You won't answer any question directly.  Why is that?  If your god's word, your god's position, is so good, so right, then why is it so hard for you to give a clear and direct answer?
Changed Change Reason Date
screwtape good post July 16, 2013, 12:27:51 PM