Karma reasons for concrete message

OldChurchGuy

• Darwins +190/-3

I'll try to be serious about this, because you guys appear to really want an answer, almost as if you really want someone to prove Christianity true.

You might be misreading us. If someone can prove christianity is true, that's fine. But what we're more interested in is showing people who believe where they are wrong.

Ok, then prove there is no God of the Bible beyond any shadow of a doubt.

Do you consider atheism a "religion"?  While not an organized religion with a central hub of authority, I believe that it takes "faith" to be an atheist, so can I start with the apology on why Christianity is true and atheism is false?

Atheism is very simple. A disbelief in gods. It has no churches, no holy books, no holy leaders, no hymns, no pews, no child indoctrination programs, no tithing, no tax-free status. So no, it isn't a religion. It is a stance on a subject, and nothing more. Each atheist forms their world view without the benefit of being told what to think by others. The only thing we really have in common is that we lack the tendency to believe ancient myths. Plus we usually aren't real happy about efforts to run the world according via religious dogma.

People have come here and insisted that we are indeed a religion, which is not surprising. Folks who are not clear on what religion is appear to be far more prone to distort other things than your average bear.

So those who insist on telling us that we're something we're not while at the same time trying to convince us to follow something we think is untrue tend not to impress.

religion: a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, . . . http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/religion

You have your set of beliefs concerning these, don't you?

By the way, you guys have been really good sports while I was toying with you.  No hard feelings?

We do fine when theists are both civil and willing to talk. A heavy reliance on scripture, without including personal interpretations, or other evidence that the theist has actually thought about whatever it is they are saying, tends to bother us. And theists who ignore the hard questions and react only to trite and unimportant quips tend to fall out of favor fast. You'll know if you are going sour on us. If for no other reason than I'm here and I'll mention it.

If you can avoid ignoring questions, you'll do fine. You'll get your chance to convert us, we'll get out chance to convert you, and a good time can be had by all. Just don't expect any miracles. There aren't any to be found on this site.

As long as this goes both ways, then I'll try to address questions, but I've had a few questions that have not been answered.  Also, I'm one guy trying to respond to you, Graybeard, OCG, boots, Anfaulgir, and a few more.  I'm going to ignore what seems to be trite, or unimportant, or what I perceive to be trolling. But I will answer even some trolling attempts if it provides an opportunity for me to present my worldview on a topic.  I don't want to convert you.  I just want you to consider if my worldview is possible.  I'll let God worry about converting you.  And if there is no God, then you don't have anything to worry about.

There is a more complete definition of religion in the link cited.  Granted, you did include "...." indicating there is more.  The "more" is as follows:

re·li·gion 
noun 

1. a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, especially when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs.

2. a specific fundamental set of beliefs and practices generally agreed upon by a number of persons or sects: the Christian religion; the Buddhist religion. 

3. the body of persons adhering to a particular set of beliefs and practices: a world council of religions. 

4. the life or state of a monk, nun, etc.: to enter religion. 

5. the practice of religious beliefs; ritual observance of faith.

For the record, is it correct to conclude you are defining religion as " a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe"?  If not, what definition of religion do you use?

Sincerely,

OldChurchGuy
Changed Change Reason Date
ParkingPlaces I can't help it. I think God is making me do this :-) December 27, 2013, 07:51:39 PM