Karma reasons for concrete message

Aaron123

• Darwins +80/-1

The scribes and pharisees were constantly asking Him tricky questions to try and slip Him up. By telling the multitude to be more righteous than the pharisee not only in their teaching, but by example as well, He is denouncing the "OLD WAYS."  The message of forgiveness, do unto others as you would have done unto you; these are all attempts to change the 'old' ways.

What are these "old ways" you speak of?  The laws of the old testaments?  If so, why did god set those up instead of the love & peace stuff in the first place?

Af far as Jesus and God being one, I believe they are, how else could He have found the courage to give His life so easily so that others may live.

God and Jesus are one and the same.  Ok, we've got that established.  Now, if Jesus is all about love & peace, why did he prescribe death for so many offenses in the OT? (including trivial nonsense, such as picking up stickes on the wrong day)

The "Ten Commandments" are God's laws. Don't see anything there so bad, and If mankind actually followed them, the World would be at peace.

What you've listed are not the ten commandments.  They are:

1) Do not worship any other god, for the Lord, whose name is Jealous, is a jealous God
2) Be careful not to make a treaty with those who live in the land; for when they prostitute themselves to their gods and sacrifice to them, they will invite you and you will eat their sacrifices
3) Do not make any idols
4) Celebrate the Festival of Unleavened Bread
5) The first offspring of every womb belongs to me, including all the firstborn males of your livestock, whether from herd or flock.
6) Six days you shall labor, but on the seventh day you shall rest; even during the plowing season and harvest you must rest.
7) Celebrate the Festival of Weeks with the firstfruits of the wheat harvest, and the Festival of Ingathering at the turn of the year.
8 ) Do not offer the blood of a sacrifice to me along with anything containing yeast, and do not let any of the sacrifice from the Passover Festival remain until morning.
9) Bring the best of the firstfruits of your soil to the house of the Lord your God.
10) Do not cook a young goat in its mother’s milk

That's all exodus 34, the only place where those sets of rules are specifically called "the ten commandments".  The ones in bold are what matches your list.  Only a 30% match.

Oh, and apparently, god's real name is "Jealous".  How strange.

1.Thou shalt have no other God before me.
2.Thou shalt not worship idols.
3.Thou shalt not take the Lord's name in vain.
4.Honor the Sabbath Day and keep it Holy
5.Honor thy Father and Mother
6.Thou shalt not Kill
7.No adultery
8.No stealing
9.No lying
10.Do not covet

I see nothing harmful here at all.

The first four are junk.  They're nothing more than Mr. Jealous' self-centerness.  The rest are decent, but could be improved on.  How about "do not rape", "do not molest children", or "help the poor"?

Moses goes on to distort God's Commandments, which I believe is the "real" reason Moses was not allowed into the Promised Land. That is if this story is true. This story was my first indication that the Bible had man's footprint all over it. No way would an intelligent , powerful God make such obvious contradictions.

What part of the bible is about Moses "distorting" god's commandments?
Changed Change Reason Date
Jag Excellent post. Thank you, saved to my files FFRef April 12, 2013, 10:22:53 AM