Karma reasons for concrete message

JeffPT

• Darwins +194/-0

Some of the various reasons that people do what society consensus expects of them (ie generally known as 'being good') -

- to avoid trouble with the law
- to avoid trouble with the spouse
- to avoid trouble with peers
- to avoid trouble with God (for theists)
- because they have found that it works - eg a society based on honesty is likely to operate more smoothly and happily than one based on dishonesty

With the exception of the last one, your entire list is nothing but fear, and I don't necessarily agree with that as the primary motivating factor behind much of human behavior.  What I mean to say is... the reason I stop myself from robbing a bank has nothing to do with my getting caught.  It just feels wrong to steal things.  What about you?  Do you walk past a bank and think, "Gee, I shouldn't rob that bank because I'm afraid I'd get caught", or do you think "Gee, I shouldn't rob that bank because the money doesn't belong to me"?  I want you to really think about that.  Ask yourself which it is. 

I'll give you a few more to add in. 

-because it feels better to help people than it does to hurt them.
-because we have empathy and we know what it feels like to hurt.
-because doing good things to others often gets them to do good things for you.

I guess the fundamental difference here is that I believe humans are generally good, and correct me if I'm wrong here, but it seems like your opinion is that unless they're constantly afraid of the repercussions of their actions, things will go to shit real fast.  I can't agree with that.  Never.
Changed Change Reason Date
Quesi empathy October 20, 2012, 09:52:25 AM