Karma reasons for concrete message

JeffPT

• Darwins +187/-0

You are talking to someone who believes that Jesus Christ is who he said he was, Truth incarnate.  He said: I am the Way the Truth and the Life, no man comes to the father but by Me.  That for me is an authoritave statement from someone I trust.  I may not know a lot of things, but I know that.

A few questions for you then... 

Who wrote it?  Did you know them?  Did Jesus himself write it?  How do you know Jesus even said it?  Were you there?  How do you know you can trust the author?  Is it not simply more likely that he's lying, or that he really believes it but is just wrong about it?  Could the people who told you to trust the bible have been wrong about it?  Why do you not trust Mohammed?  Or L. Ron Hubbard?  They said stuff too, and the only difference is that you weren't raised to believe that everything they said was right.  That's the only difference and you know it. 

But here's the problem Wayne.  You believe things too easily, and then you only look at and focus on things that reinforce your deluded beliefs.  You don't really stop to consider the alternate position, and that's why you dodge around so much of what we tell you here.  You're spewing and spewing stupid stuff that doesn't mean anything to thinking people, but I'm sure in your personal life, you've been around people who fall for this stuff as easily as you do, and that's really, really sad. 

I'll give you an example of what I mean to prove my point.  You say you trust what Jesus said, but step back out of your God belief for a moment and consider it from a standpoint of 'I don't know if God is real'.  Like any statement in any book, what Jesus said could either be true or false.  This is a fact that you can't escape from and that you can not ignore.  Now... the bible authors (whoever they may be) wrote that Jesus said he was the way, the truth and the light.  Fine.  Now, ask yourself... if you found 10 holy books on a table, all of them with people making claims that were supernatural in origin (including one which has Jesus saying that he was the way, the truth and the light), how do you distinguish between which one is trustworthy and which one is not?  What it would boil down to is the individual statements in each book and how they stack up against reality, correct? 

Given this, is it more likely that Jesus is ACTUALLY the way, the truth and the light, or that he just said he was, and really he wasn't?  Or that they made it up, or some other possibility that we haven't looked at?  The point is that the least likely thing is that Jesus really was what he said he was.  If you disagree, then ask yourself what you would say to a man who came up to you on the street and said it to you today.  Would you simply buy it?  You're gullible, but I doubt you'd buy it.  Then imagine you lived 100 years ago and someone said it.  Would you believe it then?  1000 years?  2000?  Whats the difference?  Nothing.  It would be just as dumb back then as it is now.  The notion that he is who he says is the least likely for the same reasons that it is least likely for the supernatural claims of the 9 other books to be true.  Do you disagree with that?  Does that not make you see how you've been brainwashed to believe that ONE book out of the literally thousands of books you could read with supernatural events in them, holds truth while the others do not?   

In a nutshell, you are completely abandoning the normal way you determine whether a book can be trusted in favor of simply going along with what other people (whom you trust) have told you throughout your life.  Maybe it's time you stop thinking like a little boy and start thinking like a man.  Use your reason for once.  Stop being an idiot.  You've been lied to.  The whole thing is a myth. 

You're premonition / low odds take on things is theologically sound for you given your assumptions about the world, Wayne.  Unfortunately for you, if this world had no god in it, things that you hook together can be easily explained as just very minor (and sometimes even ridiculously lame) coincidences.  Nothing more.  They aren't even like... "WOW what a coincidence" things.  They're really weak.  You're brain just can't see them that way, but truthfully, you're probably a statistics and probability class away from laughing at your own stupidity.   
Changed Change Reason Date
DumpsterFire Great points, but I wouldn't expect a response. January 20, 2013, 12:34:57 PM