Karma reasons for concrete message

JeffPT

• Darwins +255/-0

I don't see how God could be loving if he forced us to believe in him?

There is a ton wrong with the paragraph that this sentence came from, but this part stood out for me.  What do you mean by 'forcing' us to believe in him?  What exactly are you talking about, because I really think you are not using that word to explain what you mean here.  I guess what I am asking is this... How are the following 2 sentences different for you???

I don't see how God could be loving if he forced us to believe in him.
I don't see how God could be loving if he showed us that he exists. 

You chose the first sentence, which gives the impression that God is grabbing us by the collar and yelling in our faces.  Why?  I don't understand it.  If he was an ass hole and did that, then yeah, he might not be thought of as very loving.  But he wouldn't have to do that.  He could certainly show us that he exists in a very nice way and still be very much a loving God, couldn't he?  What part of that do you not 'see'?  If he came down, showed himself to everyone, and then cured cancer with a wave of his hand, couldn't that be seen as loving?  I don't get where your confusion comes from.     

BTW, see Star Stuff's thread on 'Quote of the Day' if you'd like to see a crap load of quotes to counter the ones you posted.  Each side has their quotes, Sam.  You can't look at one side and not open your eyes to the other. 
Changed Change Reason Date
jynnan tonnix exactly! September 13, 2012, 10:03:43 PM