Karma reasons for concrete message

Traveler

• Darwins +142/-2

Back in college I lost a ton of weight until I was close to, if not actually, anorexic. It didn't matter how often my brother told me I had to eat, or friends said I was too skinny, or that I was way too thin for the blood bank to take my blood. In my mind, I was fat. In the mirror, I saw fat. Other friends who were heavier? "Oh, but they look cute chubby ... I don't."

My mind was incapable of acknowledging reality. Evidence was meaningless. In my own mind I KNEW that everyone else was wrong.

Its very odd to look back at that time, and to see the photos of myself. I try to remember those feelings when I can't fathom a theists inability to hear evidence that contradicts their world view. I was lucky. I seemed to "grow out of" my body disphoria within a year or so. Honestly, I'm not even sure why or how it happened. But that kind of disconnect with reality, if my experience is any indication, is very, very persistent.
Changed Change Reason Date
wright Good, visceral description of cognitive dissonance December 12, 2013, 09:16:02 PM