Karma reasons for concrete message

Traveler

• Darwins +142/-2

"If you're not a liberal when you're 25, you have no heart.  If you're not a conservative by the time you're 35, you have no brain."
This quote was falsely attributed to Winston Churchill.

It's been my experience that liberals continue to be liberal. And in fact become more liberal. BUT, and this is an important point, I'm talking about SOCIALLY liberal. I no longer even comprehend what makes a liberal or conservative political/financial/other person. That's changed so much over time that I'm simply overwhelmed with confusion.

But on social issues like equality for all ... my 81 year old mother continues to be a liberal, and she grows in her understanding of more and more rights infringements as my sib and I talk about them. The older I get (I'm in my 50s) the more willing I am to be outspoken about my liberal views. The older I get the more infuriated I get at the right wing "conservatives", and the more willing I am to be radical in my support for social equality. And, quite frankly, in the USA I would say that the current right wing "conservatives" are actually extremely radical. I'd be tempted to call them radical neanderthals, but I feel that does a disservice to our distant ancesters.
Changed Change Reason Date
The Gawd agree wholeheartedly August 09, 2012, 08:48:36 AM
nogodsforme Don't diss neanderthals by comparing them to conservatives. August 08, 2012, 03:24:47 PM