Karma reasons for concrete message

Star Stuff

• Darwins +142/-2

I will have to say that I believe children that are not close with their parents are more likely to stray or reject their parents beliefs.  Especially christianity.  Mainly because when you feel unloved by your parents you feel unloved by God.  I was atheist for 7-8 years for this very reason.  When I came back to belief is when the healing started and I was closer to them when they died.

Interesting.  This seems to support the Freudian perspective which I quoted to you in another thread:

The idea of god was not a lie but a device of the unconscious which needed to be decoded by psychology. A personal god was nothing more than an exalted father-figure.  Desire for such a deity sprang from infantile yearnings for a powerful, protective father; for justice and fairness and for life to go on forever. God is simply a projection of these desires, feared and worshipped by human beings out of an abiding sense of helplessness. Religion belonged to the infancy of the human race; it had been a necessary stage in the transition from childhood to maturity. It had promoted ethical values which were essential to society. Now that humanity had come of age, however, it should be left behind.  (Sigmund Freud)

So Junebug, if one's feeling of being loved by god is dependent upon the healthy relationship between that person and their parents, doesn't that strongly suggest that the god one believes in is imaginary?  Why can't this god's love do so well without the love from earthly parents?
Changed Change Reason Date
neopagan great point... Jung's father archetype comes to mind too. July 24, 2013, 09:46:24 AM