Karma reasons for concrete message

Star Stuff

• Darwins +146/-2

So on the topic of miracles. It was brought up that with more technology, and provable means, miracles seem to happen less. I would not be inclined to say that they happen less. But perhaps it is that God does them, and we try to explain them away? I'm just putting that thought out there, I know that won't fly in a forum like this, so please don't think that I thought that would end the discussion lol. I mean, we can look at anything anymore and find an alternative explanation for it right? Perhaps we don't see miracles anymore because we choose to not look for them?

You are making excuses and rationalizations. What is more likely:  Primitive, superstitious, pre-darwinian, pre-scientific people claimed the occurrence of miracles, or that with the massive advancement of the wonderful and powerful tools of science, we see those claimed "miracles" fully explainable in naturalistic terms?

When looking at the topic of God's goodness and mercy, we also have to realize that God could sit back and do nothing. There are a lot of problems out there. Starvation, disease, death, war. The list could go on. When it comes right down to solid answers, I don't want to dodge the questions as this topic is about, but I really don't have the answers.

Yes, you do; but the answer (that your god is imaginary) is protected from you because of your "belief" and "faith".  As the old saying goes: "Believing is easier than thinking, thus so many more believers than thinkers."

And this may sound like a cop-out, but I believe that the reason why God is God, and we are not, is because He knows better than we do. And though God may choose to not solve every problem that humanity has, like some sort of wish fountain, I also believe it wrong to blame God for humanity's problems.

Yes, it is a cop-out.  Once you cease to make excuses and rationalizations for your imaginary father figure, you will step over the chasm of childhood to adulthood, where you accept 100% responsibility for yourself.

"The idea of god was not a lie but a device of the unconscious which needed to be decoded by psychology. A personal god was nothing more than an exalted father-figure.  Desire for such a deity sprang from infantile yearnings for a powerful, protective father; for justice and fairness and for life to go on forever. God is simply a projection of these desires, feared and worshipped by human beings out of an abiding sense of helplessness. Religion belonged to the infancy of the human race; it had been a necessary stage in the transition from childhood to maturity. It had promoted ethical values which were essential to society. Now that humanity had come of age, however, it should be left behind."  (Sigmund Freud)

If we are so much better and wiser than He is, then why haven't we solved world hunger?

We're not better. He doesn't exist.

The fact is God is sovereign.

What does that mean?

He doesn't have to answer to us.

That sounds like an excuse and a rationalization.  It also sounds like you're just regurgitating stuff that's been fed to you from your church/family etc.

I rely on God for everything.

This makes me angry.  For you don't rely on any deity, although you think you do, you rely on science.  For if you were to be born just a few hundred years ago, you'd likely have died at a young age, for all of the things you enjoy - including longevity - is due to the advancements of science.  This includes sanitary systems, dentistry, clean water, technology, and the massive advancements of modern medicine.  Your god doesn't do anything.  All of our advancements are due to hard work.

For some, that seems like stupidity. For me, it's comfort.

You might want to give that a little thought.  Yes, it must be comforting to shut one's mind to the "off" position, I know I did when I was a christian, but once you develop an appetite for what is "true" over what is comforting, the wild, supernatural and infantile beliefs of religion in general and christinsanity in particular become unpalatable.

I know that no matter what happens to me, I don't have to worry about it because God will work it out.

Is that because you view your god as a father figure?  If so, I suggest that you are stuck in a state of infancy and dependency, and you will forever be wondering what's going to happen next, because hey, you're not charge of your life, your invisible, imaginary father figure in the sky has everything under control.

But if God made everything obvious, well, we wouldn't have to choose Him. We would have no choice but to follow Him.

Not true.  Do you have the freedom to love/choose/follow the people that you meet?  What about Adam & Eve (although we know there was no Adam & Eve - that's a silly myth), but for the sake of argument, they knew god, but had free will to follow or not.  So again, I suggest that you're making excuses and rationalizations.

Makes God look like everything is about Him. Makes Him look selfish. Of course it does. Everything is all about Him. He's God. Doesn't that make sense? If I created all of everything, I would expect it to be all about me to. But I am powerless to do so. That's why I am not God. So I simply render praise and glory to where praise and glory is due.

Again, it sounds like you have father issues.

Changed Change Reason Date
median Awesome response to credulity, gullibility, and superstition January 10, 2014, 01:45:20 AM
Traveler well siad January 10, 2014, 12:35:51 AM