Karma reasons for concrete message

Star Stuff

• Darwins +152/-4

Some of these things I have already been over in my own studies.  Before considering what is said one must first sift through what is and isn't true.  Here is an example.

If a man is caught in the act of raping a young woman who is not engaged, he must pay fifty pieces of silver to her father.  Then he must marry the young woman because he violated her, and he will never be allowed to divorce her.

What kind of lunatic would make a rape victim marry her attacker?  Answer: God.

All translations do not render this scripture that way.  A more accurate translation reads, "If a man find a damsel that is a virgin, which is not betrothed, and lay hold on her, and lie with her, and they be found......" (ASV)

The fact that it is not talking about rape is more evident in Exodus 22:16 where the same law is restated.  "If a man seduces a virgin who is not pledged to be married and sleeps with her, he must pay the bride-price, and she shall be his wife." (NIV)

I recommend you approach such web sites with the same critical analysis as you use to approach the Bible.

Is that it?  That little hermeneutic game of twister is all you have?  In your tissue-thin exercise of special pleading, you have failed to see the entire point, which is:  Are the pages & pages of primitive, barbaric, tribal, patriarchal nonsense really what we should expect from the creator of the universe in his one & only communication to mankind?  Gimme a feekin' break!

All that is necessary, as it seems to me, to convince any reasonable person that the Bible is simply and purely of human invention, of barbarian invention, is to read it.  Read it as you would any other book. Think of it as you would of any other; get the bandage of reverence from your eyes; drive from your heart the phantom of fear; push from the throne of your brain the cowled form of superstition. Then read the Holy Bible, and you will be amazed that you ever, for one moment, supposed a being of infinite wisdom, goodness and purity, to be the author of such ignorance and of such atrocity.  (Robert G. Ingersoll)
Changed Change Reason Date
screwtape good post July 07, 2013, 10:45:18 AM