Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
I was driving my brand new car yesterday and a black cat crosses the road in front of me.  First thing I thought of was the witch that cat belonged to.  Somehow I made it home without any problems.  Damn witches.  Why can't Trump deport them?

They put a spell on him so he could never deport them! :-D
And if God was into free will, why doesn't he let us decide whether or not to suffer so called witches without his butting in and telling us not to?

He sure does a fair bit of telling us what to do in this book!
Chatter / Re: Steve Bannon article
« Last post by Jag on Today at 03:52:15 PM »
You have to wonder why he thinks nationalism is a good thing.  In past history it always leads to wars and conflicts.

Pfft. They don't believe in your 'history', everyone know that was invented by the Chinese and spread by Obama. The Clintons were involved in the cover up, and everyone made lots of money.
Chatter / Re: Community
« Last post by velkyn on Today at 03:25:21 PM »
Emma, I think we all understand that your scenario may be possible but as it stands there is little reason to think it is what is happening.

To explain a bit more on my reasoning, I purchased this book not too long ago:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dialectical-Behavior-Therapy-Skills-Workbook-ebook/dp/B0041D8UWM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1500659588&sr=8-2&keywords=the+dbt+skills+workbook

It's based on the work of Marsha Linehan (an American psychologist and professor) and aimed at helping people manage overwhelming emotional experiences in helpful healthy ways - who have problems with doing so.

I'm far from having read through it all yet. But I have read through the introduction and first chapter. This all goes into some detail on how intensely some people can feel compared to others and how this can (at times) lead to their use of ongoing self destructive behaviours (when they've never learned how to do better). Out of the number of examples of self destructive behaviours given, taking feelings out on others by getting excessively angry at them is one of them.

After having interacted with Junebug for as long as I have by now here, and having read what I have on this (as well as already having had some insight into things like depression and anger problems), it really does appear to me that the explanation I was thinking of makes a lot of sense.

Willing to consider that I'm possibly wrong or that there's more to things than I'm thinking of however. How come you see there's little reason to think that this is what is happening as a cause?

I wasn’t as clear as I intended, Emma.   You offer that the reason JB does what she does is that she gets upset and then lashes out, and when she calms down, she feels things differently.  I do agree that this is what appears to happen.  You seem to be indicating that she cannot control this and that is where I disagree, and what I meant when I said there is little reason to think that this was happening.  Now, this is where my assumption was, that you were indicating that she cannot help it.  However, she has been told exactly what you stated, and told that she needs help.   She has also been told that seeking validation here is not sensible, and she has acknowledged this, but has simply returned to her usual behavior.   This seems calculated, especially when we know that she willfully ignores her therapist.   

I do think a book on dialectical behavior therapy is very good to look at when considering JB’s behavior.         

I am not sure what you mean by your question here:

Regarding what you said on her repeatedly expecting nobody to hold her accountable, after previous breaks away from the forum (after lashing out etc), has she actually said anything that has clearly indicated she expects this from staff/other members here?

Do you expect someone who has behaved as she has to clearly say what she expects from people?   She has done her best to manipulate people and we do know what she wants from how she has reacted when she doesn’t get those things.   She has often claimed she wants to be accepted for who she is, and it ends up that she wants to not be questioned, to not be criticized and to not be held accountable.   From your posts, I gather than she has been less than cordial to you on PMs.  For me, this is evidence that surely does indicate exactly what she wants from others.   

What happened at my old church was a really revealing instance of how community works.  As JB indicated in the OP, most people assume that community is where people will support you.  What happened is that some people in my church weren’t happy with the level of support they thought they deserved, meaning they thought they deserved to be lauded no matter what they did, never to be questioned, etc. They caused friction, and then things blew up.   People are *still* nasty about the whole occurrence some 20+ years later.   

I think the OP is interesting, however it strikes me as JB having started it for questionable purposes.  She was upset that she didn’t get the validation she thought she deserved here in this community and stormed out.  The community didn’t do as she thought it should and now she assumes that atheists have no community against all evidence.  It seems she is heading toward another collision with reality which will start the cycle again.   
That will all change when Trump's religious liberty exec order goes into affect.
Chatter / Re: Steve Bannon article
« Last post by Nick on Today at 03:21:27 PM »
You have to wonder why he thinks nationalism is a good thing.  In past history it always leads to wars and conflicts.
General Religious Discussion / Re: Problems of being a Social Animal
« Last post by Nick on Today at 03:19:28 PM »
In my job I was required to report abuse.  Once when I did so nothing happened.  The abuse got worse and I reported again.  That time I was told if I kept reporting I could be hauled into court.  So I did not report any longer on that case.
Chatter / Re: Goat Cheese, Prison, and Whole Foods
« Last post by Nick on Today at 03:17:28 PM »
Pay an honest wage so they have something when they get out.  Do wonder I found a file in my cheese the other day.
General Religious Discussion / Re: Thou Shalt Not Suffer a Witch to Live.
« Last post by Nick on Today at 03:15:52 PM »
I was driving my brand new car yesterday and a black cat crosses the road in front of me.  First thing I thought of was the witch that cat belonged to.  Somehow I made it home without any problems.  Damn witches.  Why can't Trump deport them?
General Religious Discussion / Thou Shalt Not Suffer a Witch to Live.
« Last post by Ron Jeremy on Today at 03:00:50 PM »
Exodus 22;

18 Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live.

Out of all the verses in the bible, this to me makes it utterly obvious that the book is an invention of men.

If an all powerful god really existed and if he really was that concerned about witches, then he is the ONLY one in a position to judge whether or not the accused is guilty. No one else except him has the knowledge to judge this.

The only reason it is in the book is that on account of the god being imaginary, men have to carry out this task.
Christians; this is proof your god is fictional. But please feel free to explain why I'm wrong.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10