Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
General Religious Discussion / Re: No True Scotsman
« Last post by wheels5894 on Today at 03:15:43 AM »

Yes I did make that claim.  Ignore it if you like.  Any others?

I've also read your propaganda before and also your erroneous translations of the scriptures that you use to support it.  It's bunk.

Where did I claim that God has communicated only with me over the past 2000 years?  Evidently you place liitle value on truth when making accusations, you and the others making accusations along with your demeaning ridicule.  Here is a true statement from the scriptures:  "From the overflow of the heart, the mouth speaks."  What kind of heart produces ridicule and false accusations?  Not one whose thoughts matter to me. 

If it is true that atheists produce the same fruit as Christians, which I believe may be true to an extent, you four accusers do not provide evidence.  You fit the stereotype of the angry atheist very well so far.  So I see no reason to take anything you say seriously.  Of course, there's still time to change the road you're on.     

So I take it, Jst, that you have the necessary languages to be able to translate the biblical texts and that's how you know some translation are wrong? If not, then you, like everyone else in your position (i.e. most people who think the bible is important) are relying on what other tell them and thus not on a very sound footing for such a claim. If you want to make such claims, you are going to have to come up with the tools and the examples to discuss. I am not the only one with such languages here so we could discuss you examples.

However, the heart of what you are saying is that the bible have some real significance in the world and that it predicts the future. This is a baseless claim since,

a. there is no way to show the authorship or the inspiration of the writers and redactors of the text - indeed we don't even know who they are.

b. because no one has shown that there is even a god who could want rules written down.

c. because if we look at other predictions in the bible, they are either trivial - yes, wars happen - or they are used in the NT to write the text of the NT. Matthew does this a lot. Finally, ones like Ezekiel 29, especially verse 11. Maybe you could tell me when that came true? It is one of the failed prophecies, actually.

So, the point here is simple - you make unsubstantiated claims and expect other to accept what you say as, er... 'gospel' when it is just a claim. You are you church could do better than this. What are the reasons that we should even consider the bible to have any truth in it that cannot be found anywhere else?
Chatter / Re: Mr. President Donald Trump
« Last post by screwtape on Yesterday at 11:14:55 PM »
http://www.businessinsider.com/jared-kushner-backchannel-plan-russia-flynn-2017-5

There don't seem to be any former intelligence anybodies who aren't completely shocked by this.  Kushner and the rest of the trumps look like they're in deep shit.  They look like a bunch of children trying to play spy who are in way over their heads.

This is what the intel guys said four months ago
http://www.rawstory.com/2017/02/he-will-die-in-jail-intelligence-community-ready-to-go-nuclear-on-trump-senior-source-says/

Now we go nuclear. IC war going to new levels. Just got an EM fm senior IC friend, it began: "He will die in jail."

I've been keeping my fingers crossed.

« Last post by Jstwebbrowsing on Yesterday at 10:59:39 PM »
My only claims are about what the bible says.  Show me an unsupported claim.

Your claim that a god communicates with you is an unsupported claim.

Your claim that the god of the bible is the entity in your head is not only an unsupported claim, it is obviously false, since you have a modern western pseudo-scientific misunderstanding of the bible, and no idea how it was written, nor any idea that the god of the bible is a composite invention, descended directly from various other gods including El and Baal.

The entity in your head is just a demonic delusion of your own making. A demonic delusion which claims that only you have the correct answer and everyone over the last two thousand years missed the boat because there were no Jehovah's Witnesses. Your demonic delusion did not care to communicate with anyone else over the last two thousand years, only with you! How ridiculous! Even if it was a real being it would be unworthy of any respect or worship. But of course it is not real. It is just you, and therefore, what is unworthy of respect or worship are your ideals, excuses and lack of thinking.

There is a cost to not being able to tell the difference between reality and fiction or ideology, and to believing that you are just a visitor to the real world. Unfortunately, the cost is not just to the believer but to other people.

Yes I did make that claim.  Ignore it if you like.  Any others?

I've also read your propoganda before and also your erroneous translations of the scriptures that you use to support it.  It's bunk.

Where did I claim that God has communicated only with me over the past 2000 years?  Evidently you place liitle value on truth when making accusations, you and the others making accusations along with your demeaning ridicule.  Here is a true statement from the scriptures:  "From the overflow of the heart, the mouth speaks."  What kind of heart produces ridicule and false accusations?  Not one whose thoughts matter to me. 

If it is true that atheists produce the same fruit as Christians, which I believe may be true to an extent, you four accusers do not provide evidence.  You fit the stereotype of the angry atheist very well so far.  So I see no reason to take anything you say seriously.  Of course, there's still time to change the road you're on.     
Along the same lines:
http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/badastronomy/2010/03/23/tantric-guru-in-india-fails-to-kill-skeptic/

...The outspoken and hard-working Indian rationalist Sanal Edamaruku had enough. When the "guru" Pandit Surender Sharma claimed he could kill a man using nothing but magic powers, Edamaruku challenged Sharma to kill him on live TV in India.

For some reason, Sharma eventually agreed, and what played out on the air is pretty funny to watch:

Edit:
It did not end well for Edamaruku, though not because of any spells.  Four years after this, fucking Catholics filed blasphemy charges against him for debunking a "miracle" they invited him to debunk. He is essentially exiled to Finland.  If he returns to India, he could be imprisoned.

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-26815298
« Last post by Foxy Freedom on Yesterday at 08:24:48 PM »

Your claim that a god communicates with you is an unsupported claim.

Your claim that the god of the bible is the entity in your head is not only an unsupported claim, it is obviously false, since you have a modern western pseudo-scientific misunderstanding of the bible, and no idea how it was written, nor any idea that the god of the bible is a composite invention, descended directly from various other gods including El and Baal.

The entity in your head is just a demonic delusion of your own making. A demonic delusion which claims that only you have the correct answer and everyone over the last two thousand years missed the boat because there were no Jehovah's Witnesses. Your demonic delusion did not care to communicate with anyone else over the last two thousand years, only with you! How ridiculous! Even if it was a real being it would be unworthy of any respect or worship. But of course it is not real. It is just you, and therefore, what is unworthy of respect or worship are your ideals, excuses and lack of thinking.

There is a cost to not being able to tell the difference between reality and fiction or ideology, and to believing that you are just a visitor to the real world. Unfortunately, the cost is not just to the believer but to other people.
« Last post by LoriPinkAngel on Yesterday at 08:22:24 PM »
We're screwed no matter which of those evil creeps is in charge.  It's just that Pence or Ryan may be less of an embarrassment.  They all want to slash social programs, pretty much get rid of health insurance for anyone who isn't healthy or rich, ditch Social Security, basically trash anything that helps anyone who isn't rich.
Science / Eat your heart out Superman!
« Last post by shnozzola on Yesterday at 07:20:45 PM »
Scientists have found a way to photograph people in 3D through walls using Wi-Fi

http://www.businessinsider.com/wifi-camera-sees-through-walls-2017-5
« Last post by Jstwebbrowsing on Yesterday at 05:36:53 PM »

Or you can go ridicule someone else.  I'll reserve my time for those interested in discussion rather than unsupported accusations.
« Last post by Jag on Yesterday at 05:29:52 PM »
Then it's simply an unsupported claim.

Says the King of Unsupported Claims.

You're a blind hypocrite jst.
« Last post by Jag on Yesterday at 05:25:02 PM »
It's clear to me just how f'ed up I think our political situation is when I'm cheered up at the idea of Paul f'ing Ryan being the stand-in president as a way out of this mess.

Blech.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10