Author Topic: Scientists attempt to recreate the Big Bang!!  (Read 4895 times)

Offline Boots

• Reader
  • Darwins +94/-0
  • Living the Dream
* Religion: institutionalized superstition, period.

"Many of my ultra-conservative Republican friends...have trouble accepting the idea God is not a Republican. " ~OldChurchGuy

"We humans may never figure out the truth, but I prefer trying to find it over pretending we know it."  ~ParkingPlaces

Offline ;)

• Graduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • My name's Dan, ignore the crap username :)
Re: Scientists attempt to recreate the Big Bang!!
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2008, 02:56:55 PM »
I'm looking forward to seeing the outcomes from CERN!
Should be interesting stuff :)

The big bang and mini black holes, sounds exciting ;)
Our freedom's consuming itself.

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2008, 02:58:04 PM »
I am also looking forward to this.  What a great machine!
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Offline JTW

• Reader
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2008, 03:41:36 PM »
Black holes suck.

;D

Offline ;)

• Graduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2008, 03:48:13 PM »
Black holes suck.

;D

Haha, nice play on words ;)

Offline VSR

• Student
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2008, 04:26:22 PM »
I can't wait to get home and see this video! Is this really possible? Big bang and mini black holes? Have I turned a blind eye for that long? Damn!! That is so cool! But of course I need to see the video first.
You can choose a ready guide in some celestial voice.
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.
You can choose from phantom fears and kindness that can kill;
I will choose a path that's clear
I will choose freewill.
~Neil Peart~

Offline ;)

• Graduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2008, 04:42:48 PM »
I can't wait to get home and see this video! Is this really possible? Big bang and mini black holes? Have I turned a blind eye for that long? Damn!! That is so cool! But of course I need to see the video first.

Well apparently what they're doing will being able to test the big bang theory and black hole theory on a small scale because of the intense energies it'll produce.
Really intriguing stuff!

Anyone know where i can keep up to date with what's going on over there? ;)

Offline VSR

• Student
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2008, 04:46:53 PM »
Anyone know where i can keep up to date with what's going on over there?
Yes please.

Cygnus X-1 in my backyard, utterly amazing stuff.
You can choose a ready guide in some celestial voice.
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.
You can choose from phantom fears and kindness that can kill;
I will choose a path that's clear
I will choose freewill.
~Neil Peart~

Offline MattInAsia

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2008, 09:45:26 PM »
Screw the atomic bomb.  Imagine if we dropped a black hole on Japan.  Or sucked them up in a mini version of the sun.

I see a fun self defense weapon possibility for the next guy that pulls a 9mm glock on you asking for your wallet and cell phone.

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2008, 02:09:55 PM »
of course you can watch horrible movie goodness on the Sci-Fi Channel's "Black Hole" movie where it sucks up St. Louis AND let's loose a "electricity being" (shades of 70s superhero cartoon)

http://www.badmovies.org/capsules/b/blackholetv/
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Offline TownL7

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2008, 06:48:47 PM »
Scientists become Creationist! :o  Or Recreatonist?  I don't know that this proves anything for the cause, but it is cool.

Offline spider

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • ATT ambassador
    • Atheist Think Tank
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2008, 07:24:53 PM »
  In 2006, Brian Cox came out here for Australia's National Science Week and I went to see him talk about it.  That's when I first properly heard about CERN's LHC project.   It was really mind-boggling to consider exactly what they were hoping to uncover.  He managed to explain it fairly well to us n00bs.   I think just getting to this point in human knowledge is amazing.  I'm truly impressed by modern particle physics, even if this project ends up being a bit of an anti-climax.

Offline Sota

« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2008, 07:54:11 PM »
I may sound like a newb for asking this, but what exactly does it do?  As far as I know, it collides hadrons, and it's large.

Offline ;)

• Graduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2008, 02:59:26 PM »
I may sound like a newb for asking this, but what exactly does it do?  As far as I know, it collides hadrons, and it's large.

Haha, that's about the whole of it ;)

They've got two seperate rings around the 26km accelerator, and each one will have protons going around at almost the speed of light.
One ring goes one way, one goes the other ...
And there's 4 'colliding chambers' around the LHC, such as ATLAS, and in those chambers, the two rings cross eachother, and well ... that's where the action happens :D
There's incredible cameras in each chamber, and basically they're just going to look at what comes out of the collisions, and hope to find the Higgs Boson, and maybe evidence for higher dimensions and whatever else they're looking for :)

Hope i've helped :)

Offline Sota

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2008, 05:12:34 PM »

They've got two seperate rings around the 26km accelerator, and each one will have protons going around at almost the speed of light.
And there's 4 'colliding chambers' around the LHC, such as ATLAS, and in those chambers, the two rings cross eachother, and well ... that's where the action happens :D
There's incredible cameras in each chamber, and basically they're just going to look at what comes out of the collisions, and hope to find the Higgs Boson, and maybe evidence for higher dimensions and whatever else they're looking for :)

You have, quite a bit.  Thanks.  How do they manage to accelerate the particles that fast?

Offline ;)

• Graduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2008, 06:00:45 PM »
You're welcome :)

I'm not too sure on the whole Physics of it really, complex stuff haha
All i know is that they need to cool the system to almost absolute zero (-273oc) by using liquid Helium or something for it to work, and that a lot of magnets are used to accelerate and guide the protons around the ring.
So i'm guessing they have pretty powerful magnets ::)

That's really all i know, i'll look into it a bit more :)

Offline hayzelee

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2008, 11:04:15 PM »

You have, quite a bit.  Thanks.  How do they manage to accelerate the particles that fast?

Heat and pressure speed up the particals, takes days to get it fast enough. Or something like that. :P

Oh And What If...
They create loads of little blackholes that join into one, and get like massive, so they cant control it, and it sucks in the earth?
Think that would ever happen?

(Be nice in the answer :P Im only young and stupid!!)
Who are you to judge the life I live? I know I'm not perfect, I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, Make sure your hands are clean. - Bob Marley.

Offline Sota

« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2008, 12:50:14 AM »

Heat and pressure speed up the particals, takes days to get it fast enough. Or something like that. :P

Oh And What If...
They create loads of little blackholes that join into one, and get like massive, so they cant control it, and it sucks in the earth?

I think it would be a fancy way to go.

And I too am young and stupid.  I bet I'm younger than almost all of you guys on this forum.

Offline ;)

• Graduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2008, 04:40:17 AM »

Oh And What If...

It's not heat that does it, because the system is cooled down to almost -273oc before using it :D

And the possibility of creating black holes is minute, but if they do, it's predicted that they wont even last 1 second because they'd be so unstable :)
If what you said could happen though, it'd be a good way to go wouldn't it ::)

Offline ;)

• Graduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2008, 04:41:37 AM »
And I too am young and stupid.  I bet I'm younger than almost all of you guys on this forum.

Would be a great way to go!
And how old are you? :)

Offline Sota

« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2008, 11:22:41 AM »

Would be a great way to go!
And how old are you? :)

I'm just 15.  But I prefer to stay ahead of the other students, so this forum is a big help.

Offline ;)

• Graduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2008, 01:26:54 PM »
Ahh okay :)
I'm only 17, and this does help me learn a few things and understand other people a bit more too :)

Offline hayzelee

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2008, 05:04:19 PM »
Im 16. But I'm A Idiot.
I think it would be rather amusing to see a black hole and to be sucked into one... anyone agree :P??
Who are you to judge the life I live? I know I'm not perfect, I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, Make sure your hands are clean. - Bob Marley.

Offline spider

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • ATT ambassador
    • Atheist Think Tank
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2008, 01:07:03 AM »
I'm 24 and I still need instruction.

It is cooled down to -274K, but they then create an explosion of sorts, by colliding the particles.  Cooling it down is just to create the same sort of conditions that the Big Bang would've occurred in.  It doesn't stay that cold - energy will be released.

Collisions of the same kind happen out in space and to the earth all the time, and they don't eat the universe.

http://public.web.cern.ch/public/en/LHC/LHC-en.html

Offline Cyberia

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +35/-0
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2008, 04:51:08 AM »
How do they manage to accelerate the particles that fast?
Well, they are accelerating mostly Lead ions.  Ions are charged atomic nuclei, charged because they have too few electrons, in this case, probably none at all.  Any charged particle will accelerate in the presence of a magnetic field.  The LHC has superconducting magnets along it's entire ring...

Figuring it out yet? :)
Soon we will judge angels.

Offline Cyberia

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +35/-0
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2008, 04:53:13 AM »
It is cooled down to -274K, but they then create an explosion of sorts, by colliding the particles.  Cooling it down is just to create the same sort of conditions that the Big Bang would've occurred in.  It doesn't stay that cold - energy will be released.
The magnets are cooled, not the collision chamber.  The cooling doesn't affect the collision/particle explosion.

Cooling the magnets is necessary because they are superconducting magnets, and superconductivity only occurs at very low temperature.  Although scientists are trying to achieve higher temperature superconductivity. (ie: room temperature)

And just FYI: The LHC's magnets are cooled to: 1.9 K (-271.25 °C).
« Last Edit: September 08, 2008, 04:57:34 AM by Cyberia »
Soon we will judge angels.

Offline spider

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • ATT ambassador
    • Atheist Think Tank
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2008, 05:13:50 AM »
Eh.  Corrected.   But thank you for arriving in the thread finally.  Otherwise people might get funny ideas about particle physics and the LHC.....    **whistles dixie** 

Offline bahramthered

• Fellow
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2008, 10:15:38 AM »
Basically the idea is that each magnet pulls the electron towards it, and when it reaches it flips it's feild to push it away.

The magnets need to be cooled as this helps them acheive max effect.

Offline Sota

« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2008, 10:22:22 AM »
How do they manage to accelerate the particles that fast?
Well, they are accelerating mostly Lead ions.  Ions are charged atomic nuclei, charged because they have too few electrons, in this case, probably none at all.  Any charged particle will accelerate in the presence of a magnetic field.  The LHC has superconducting magnets along it's entire ring...

Figuring it out yet? :)
Yeah.  So it's kind of like a gigantic coilgun, right?