Author Topic: Evolution Explained  (Read 50418 times)

Online albeto

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +119/-1
  • WWGHA Member
Re: Evolution Explained
« Reply #522 on: April 24, 2016, 12:04:21 AM »
***This well written piece makes me think. And makes me think very hard. What if non intelligence is more powerful than intelligence?

What do you mean, "What if"? Non intelligent factors are quite often more powerful than thoughtful consideration with regard to much motivation of behavior. Dopamine production and activity in the brain explains how animals can be motivated quite apart from conscious decision making efforts.

If evolutionary changes are part of non intelligent changes, then I will conclude that evolutionary process is more powerful than intelligent process.

We know evolutionary changes are part of non intelligent changes.  Skin and hair color is one example of evolutionary changes that are unrelated to intelligent changes. Or do I misunderstand you?

***Here, we have a problem. We always thought we were  special because of our intelligence, but reality teaches otherwise. How can this be?

This premise is irrelevant. "We always thought" the gods created weather patterns based on our success or failure with regard to flattering them or appeasing their bad moods. In other words, simply having a particular belief deeply integrated with the explanation of the human experience doesn't mean that belief is accurate. The value of "special" is assigned rather arbitrarily, and quite subjectively. My dog thinks she's pretty damned special, and no one has ever accused her of being particularly intelligent. ;-)

Online jaimehlers

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +950/-25
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #523 on: April 24, 2016, 12:18:30 AM »
Actually, it's the exact opposite.  Evolution is impressive because it does reasonably well despite being unintelligent, not because it's more powerful.  If anything, it's just more methodical.
Please let me know if you have problems with something I say, so that we can discuss it amicably.

Offline Mr. Orange

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #524 on: April 25, 2016, 05:15:01 PM »
What do you mean, "What if"? Non intelligent factors are quite often more powerful than thoughtful consideration with regard to much motivation of behavior. Dopamine production and activity in the brain explains how animals can be motivated quite apart from conscious decision making efforts.
By taking taking your  analysis , can you predict where the evolutionary process headed, apart from human intelligence?

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +213/-7
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
« Reply #525 on: April 25, 2016, 05:21:22 PM »
By taking taking your  analysis , can you predict where the evolutionary process headed, apart from human intelligence?

why are you trying to set human intelligent apart?
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Offline Mr. Orange

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #526 on: April 25, 2016, 05:34:37 PM »
Correct!

Offline Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +428/-39
« Reply #527 on: April 25, 2016, 05:44:09 PM »
"Correct" doesn't answer Velkyn's question.  Are you a real person, or a bot, anyway?
I always say what I mean. But sometimes I'm a sarcastic prick whose tone can't be properly communicated via text.

Online nogodsforme

• Laureate
  • Darwins +1741/-9
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #528 on: April 25, 2016, 06:44:33 PM »

Evolution is not "headed" anywhere. There is no final goal that evolution is trying to achieve. Evolution is about life surviving long enough to reproduce. If every living thing dies except bacteria, cockroaches, naked mole rats and Keith Richards, evolution is fine with that. Just keeping some sort of life going--that is evolution's "thing".

Although, there does appear to be another "thing" with evolution about diversity of species to fill lots of environmental niches, so after some millennia, if there are environmental changes, more kinds of bacteria, new species of naked mole rats, different cockroaches and other Keith Richardses would appear.

And the world would start anew. It would be kinda scary-looking, but evolution is not about making the world nice and pretty for modern humans, either. If we screw up our habitat, the bacteria and roach-filled world will not miss us at all.
If people really believed in god's will they would not buy insurance.

Prayer is a sign that god has ADHD.