Author Topic: Educated Christian [#286]  (Read 464 times)

Offline DL

Educated Christian [#286]
« on: August 24, 2008, 11:25:27 PM »

I am an educated Christian, and none of your questions made me uncomfortable. We have more archaeological evidence proving the Bible to be absolute truth than any other historical book. You are looking at your questions from a biased opinion that God does not exist. God doesn't have to prove Himself to anyone, you pray to test Him, He is bigger than that.

Ask some amputees in Africa if God doesn't regrow limbs. Ask the man Nick Vujicic (lifewithoutlimbs.org) how God is using him to bring hope and love (God's character) to thousands upon thousands of people. Ask people who earnestly seek after God if He is real.

You are right when you say there are millions of children suffering from starvation, but their prayers are being answered, there are millions of people around the world doing everything possible to feed them, out of our love for them. Can you explain that? Can you explain why I would love someone and feel hurt for them when I have never met them? Can you explain why any of us would? Do you care about the starving children, are you doing anything to save them? If there wasn't Someone that loved them why would any of us care?

In the way that Jesus established His church, everyone was to sell everything and bring it to the apostles. They were then to hand out all the possessions equally so that no one would do without. If we would ever follow His plan the world wouldn't be in the mess it is in. True love doesn't force Itself on anyone, we have freewill.

Look around, do we have this world in order? Have you ever looked at a map of Israel and the surrounding nations. Israel is a tiny little fragment. All the surrounding nations hate them and want their land, why do think they haven't been totally anhiliated? Could it be because God said no one could touch His remnant? If you want to know if the Bible is true, why don't you study the history and archeology of it? I know God loves you no matter what you think or know about Him and I am praying for you, I am praying that you will find out the truth before it is too late.

Offline CosmicScherzo

• Graduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • What would Jesus brew?
Re: Educated Christian [#286]
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2008, 11:55:04 PM »
We have more archaeological evidence proving the Bible to be absolute truth than any other historical book.

Like what?  That it mentions some historical figures and places?  Is Harry Potter absolute truth because it mentions London?

God doesn't have to prove Himself to anyone, you pray to test Him, He is bigger than that.

I don't pray at all.  If you think atheists go around praying to test God, you have a strange idea about what atheism is.

It's not our prayers that the argument depends on.  It's the prayers of the faithful afflicted.  Why are they not answered?

Ask some amputees in Africa if God doesn't regrow limbs. Ask the man Nick Vujicic (lifewithoutlimbs.org) how God is using him to bring hope and love (God's character) to thousands upon thousands of people. Ask people who earnestly seek after God if He is real.

Preaching while remaining devoid of your appendage does not equal healing.

You are right when you say there are millions of children suffering from starvation, but their prayers are being answered,

As thousands fall dead from malnutrition every day?  What kind of answer is that?

there are millions of people around the world doing everything possible to feed them, out of our love for them. Can you explain that?

You don't need any gods to feel compassion.

If there wasn't Someone that loved them why would any of us care?

Can you really not feel anything unless someone else does first?

In the way that Jesus established His church, everyone was to sell everything and bring it to the apostles. They were then to hand out all the possessions equally so that no one would do without.

So Jesus was a communist?

All the surrounding nations hate them and want their land, why do think they haven't been totally anhiliated? Could it be because God said no one could touch His remnant?

There was no state of Israel from the fall of Jerusalem until 1948, and even now the city is divided between Jews and Palestinians.  If God forbade touching his remnant, why have so many been elbow-deep in it?

If you want to know if the Bible is true, why don't you study the history and archeology of it?

History like talking snakes and ten-foot warlords?  Archaeology like a purported forty year journey from Egypt to Canaan, which amounts to a pace of a few dozen feet per day, or the complete lack of evidence of the Hebrews' captivity by the Pharoh?

I have learned what the bible has to say.  That's why I don't believe it.
"What claim has your piety on my deference?"

Offline JackWhitehead1

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • Time's owned every thought I've known.
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2008, 06:51:19 AM »
We have more archaeological evidence proving the Bible to be absolute truth than any other historical book. You are looking at your questions from a biased opinion that God does not exist.
Am I looking at the most directly obvious contradiction ever?
You just said that the reason you believe in God is because your God is more reliable than anybody else's.
And then told us that we're being biased on that on a count that God doesn't exist?
What if the concept of a "God" is a load of shit?
Then your belief and the reliability of your Bible, is indeed, a load of shit

Offline Hermes

• Professor
  • Darwins +2/-0
  • 1600 years of oppression ends; Zeus is worshiped.
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2008, 08:09:40 AM »
Forum members: This will take a while.  Anyone want to do a complete and detailed point-by-point reply?   (Be direct not rude!)

Letter writer: Better yet, would you want to come on the forums and discuss these issues with me?

I'm willing to talk with you one-on-one -- without other people interrupting us.  That way, you won't get swamped and we can swap both questions and answers.  Maybe we can come to some kind of consensus -- both of us learning from the discussion?

What do you say?
Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons. --Michael Shermer

The history of religion is a long attempt to reconcile old custom with new reason, to find a sound theory for an absurd practice.  --Sir James George Frazer

Offline Ashe

• Reader
  • Darwins +10/-1
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2008, 09:58:17 PM »
I definitely think there are a lot of points to address here. OP writer, I think you should join up as Hermes suggested to get a little more out of the conversation.
2 miles!
"All men(humans )were demon possed and were planning to attack God. Just like if you talk back to your parents." - Failbag quote

Offline VSR

• Student
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2008, 10:38:19 PM »
Do you care about the starving children, are you doing anything to save them?
In the way that Jesus established His church, everyone was to sell everything and bring it to the apostles. They were then to hand out all the possessions equally so that no one would do without. If we would ever follow His plan the world wouldn't be in the mess it is in.
I think this was addressed in another thread. Probably you Vynn, cause you're quick like that.
But it was stated that the children are starving because the Christians aren't doing the above mentioned.
Would you sell all your belongings and send it to Africa? Are you doing your part as Jesus ask?
You can choose a ready guide in some celestial voice.
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.
You can choose from phantom fears and kindness that can kill;
I will choose a path that's clear
I will choose freewill.
~Neil Peart~