Author Topic: Free Will [#283]  (Read 333 times)

Offline DL

Free Will [#283]
« on: August 24, 2008, 06:54:34 PM »

Im sure you get bombed with mail every day. I want to challenge - your basis for disproving God is in relation to the Bible.

I too am very skeptical of the Bible... but once the Bible is removed, do you dispute a creator (God) who created life with the intent of Free Will? That explains all the bad with the good. And no prayer can affect or override Free Will.

I am not sure if my thoughts above fall under any religion (maybe you know), but your focus on God to me seems to contigent on the Bible...

Offline WellManicuredMan

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
Re: Free Will [#283]
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2008, 07:02:44 PM »
There's Deism, if my memory serves me correctly.

There's no way to disprove that a deist's version of god exists, but there's no way to prove it either, so why bother believing it?

Offline Hermes

• Professor
  • Darwins +2/-0
  • 1600 years of oppression ends; Zeus is worshiped.
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2008, 07:53:36 PM »
>>> Im sure you get bombed with mail every day. I want to challenge - your basis for disproving God is in relation to the Bible.

OK.

>>> I too am very skeptical of the Bible... but once the Bible is removed, do you dispute a creator (God) who created life with the intent of Free Will? That explains all the bad with the good. And no prayer can affect or override Free Will.

Personally, I'm against anything that's based on supernaturalism or superstition.  Then again, even beyond my preference against these things I am for what is real.  If supernaturalism were proven, I'd have to accept it.  Not much chance of that though!

Back to the videos....

The videos were not made for me or ... it seems ... you.  They were made for an average Christian audience.  They weren't made for Buddhists, Tsoists, Muslims, or Scientologists.   They weren't made for deists or atheists or pantheists or hentotheists or polytheists.

The reason?  The site is in English and most people who speak English are in countries where the religion that is strongest is Christianity.  If it were a different religion, the focus would probably be on that religion instead.

As for free will (once again speaking for myself) if there is an all-powerful god (omnimax), there is no freewill even if we think there is.  We are puppets and predestined.  To me, it's philosophical nonsense and does not deserve much review beyond that.

>>> I am not sure if my thoughts above fall under any religion (maybe you know), but your focus on God to me seems to contigent on the Bible...

That's what the videos focus on.  Yes.
Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons. --Michael Shermer

The history of religion is a long attempt to reconcile old custom with new reason, to find a sound theory for an absurd practice.  --Sir James George Frazer

Offline CosmicScherzo

• Graduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • What would Jesus brew?
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2008, 08:41:44 PM »
That explains all the bad with the good.

So does the absence of a god, with the added bonus that you don't need to explain that god.
"What claim has your piety on my deference?"

Offline Gargaroth

• Graduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • This is just a simulation.
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2008, 01:21:15 AM »

I'm sure you get bombed with mail every day. I want to challenge - your basis for disproving God is in relation to the Bible.

I too am very skeptical of the Bible... but once the Bible is removed, do you dispute a creator (God) who created life with the intent of Free Will? That explains all the bad with the good. And no prayer can affect or override Free Will.

I am not sure if my thoughts above fall under any religion (maybe you know), but your focus on God to me seems to contingent on the Bible...

Is it your belief that a kind of programming God created all the variables and constants in the Universe for us (the human race) to be an outcome of this program? Is prayer a subroutine which, when practised correctly, can be beneficiary to the material being and the conscience being who is practising it?