Author Topic: What If God Disappeared?  (Read 1560 times)

Offline Emmanuel

• Emergency Room
  • Darwins +0/-0
What If God Disappeared?
« on: October 14, 2009, 03:36:04 AM »
What would happen if GOD disappear?

this is a video clip showing about GOD's disappearance:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkCuc34hvD4[/youtube]

Offline Dragnet

• Reader
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • iustus res "We just want the facts"
Re: What If God Disappeared?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2009, 03:38:03 AM »
Why do you insist on starting so many straw-man topics?
I am responsible with my actions NOW so I don't HAVE to be responsible for them later.

Offline plethora

• Fellow
  • Darwins +60/-1
  • Metalhead, Family Man, IT Admin & Anti-Theist \m/
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2009, 03:39:40 AM »
I can't see the clip (I'm at work and youtube vids are blocked) so I'm not sure if this is a serious question or not... I'll take it as such.

God does not exist so he can't disappear.
If you mean the concept of "god" then you're already talking about the absence of religion in this topic.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 03:41:11 AM by plethora »
The truth doesn't give a shit about our feelings.

Offline Hermes

• Professor
  • Darwins +2/-0
  • 1600 years of oppression ends; Zeus is worshiped.
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2009, 03:44:01 AM »
                                                [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkCuc34hvD4[/youtube]

Note, it's from Edward Current;

http://www.youtube.com/user/EdwardCurrent

Sweet!  "No Jesus, no peas!"
Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons. --Michael Shermer

The history of religion is a long attempt to reconcile old custom with new reason, to find a sound theory for an absurd practice.  --Sir James George Frazer

Offline Hermes

• Professor
  • Darwins +2/-0
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2009, 03:47:22 AM »
More;

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urlTBBKTO68[/youtube] [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAQTohoF718[/youtube] [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P47OC439x88[/youtube] [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqJpZOljjG8[/youtube]
Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons. --Michael Shermer

The history of religion is a long attempt to reconcile old custom with new reason, to find a sound theory for an absurd practice.  --Sir James George Frazer

Offline PeterRabbit

• Reader
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • Bad Bun
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2009, 03:49:04 AM »
This one's my favorite.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dskEn4j4Zmk[/youtube]

Offline William

• Fellow
  • Darwins +92/-2
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2009, 03:51:39 AM »
God does not exist so he can't disappear.
If you mean the concept of "god" then you're already talking about the absence of religion in this thread.

Precisely - Plethora hit the nail on the head - only the mistaken belief in "God" can disappear.  

And if it happens suddenly it'll cause total chaos for teenagers  :'( :-\
A catastrophe because there will be no more jobs left for teenagers at McDonalds when all the religious clerics have to find ways to earn an honest living.  
Git mit uns

Offline William

• Fellow
  • Darwins +92/-2
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2009, 03:54:19 AM »

Maybe there is a God after all  :? ;D ;D ;D
Git mit uns

Offline IAmFirst

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2009, 04:01:35 AM »
Emmanuel, this is clearly another fact of religion that convinces you to fear. Fear sin, fear morality, fear everything. Even fear god. He may be having a bad day when you meet him...

Why exactly do you think that atheism has NO morality? We can all cite many examples from the bible of your murdering biblegod (remember the Ammonites?) and the great flood and many many more. Much more immorality came from Catholicism, the Crusades, religious wars...

I help people of all faith or no faith in a time of need as much as I can. Exactly where and how do you think that street signs will magically change from 35 MPH Speed Limit to Any Speed Limit? Are you aware that humans made cars, streets, tires, suspension, and speeding laws based on common sense and never on god to begin with?

(If it's any interest to you, I'm one of the weird supporters for a national speed limit of 30 MPH on ALL American roadways, 35 on all highways. Hitting a pedestrian of any faith at those speeds would help most survive and you could curb auto accidents from 23,000 per year to about 2,300 per year. )
2nd of all, if all you believe in is peer-reviewed papers, you won't go very far in life...

-- Shin :D

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2009, 02:30:07 PM »
Why do you insist on starting so many straw-man topics?

ah,the usual tactic of a cowardly Christian, trying to throw so much sh!t in the hopes that some of it might stick. 
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Online Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +276/-31
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2009, 07:39:05 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/user/EdwardCurrent

Sweet!  "No Jesus, no peas!"

Didn't this happen a while ago in the Failbag?  Some schmuck posted an Edward Current parody-video as a critique of atheism?  I didn't think I'd get to see that again...
The highest moral human authority is copied by our Gandhi neurons through observation.

Offline Hermes

• Professor
  • Darwins +2/-0
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2009, 09:32:02 AM »
It happens every few months.

Offline Anfauglir

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +408/-5
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2009, 07:14:40 AM »

I too can't see the video at work - but I'll answer the question (on the assumption that there is a god in the first place....)

Option 1: Everything just winks out of existence.  This assumes the god takes an active part in sustaining the universe, and only through its concentrated effort does it continue.  Trouble is, this places a lot of responsibility for evil squarely on that god's shoulders: that god deliberately chooses to sustain or recreate from second to second all the "bad" things in the world.  It becomes a very deliberate choice on god's part to let evil exist.  In any case, it wouldn't matter as we would all be gone.

Option 2: Everything "good" just winks out of existence.  Perhaps more plausible, assuming that god sustains only the nice things.  But it would again not matter, because all concepts of good would vanish at the same time - all good thoughts, all good memories, all goodness.  We wouldn't be aware that anything was missing, as we would not even have the concept of "good".  It would all be bad - and that would be fine with everyone, because only their bad thoughts and desires would remain.

Option 3: The world carries on "as is", but without god?  Nothing would happen.  To ensure free will, god (we are told) will not intervene in the world.  So how would "god not being there" and "god being there but doing nothing" be perceived any differently?  To assume that there would be any difference perceived requires the admissions that there ARE occasions where god intervenes to change the way things happen.  And then we can legitimately ask about all the billions of occasions where god does nothing.  He becomes arbitrary, capricious, or just plain mean.

So to summarise:

If god disappeared, either (a) we would have final proof he is a git, or (b) nobody would notice, or even care.
Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid.
Why is it so hard for believers to answer a direct question?

Offline RaymondKHessel

• Reader
  • Darwins +73/-3
  • Born with insight, and a raised fist.
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2009, 09:13:09 AM »

Well, we'd all live longer, happier, healthier lives, thanks to abundent stem cell research.

We would feast on the tastiest of meats once cloning became economically viable enough to make a million of the world's most delicious livestock.

We would further feed the entirity of the starving world by having no ignorant protesters to oppose research into GE crops.

You'd see a dramatic drop in HIV/AIDS infection in Africa once the condom was allowed to be introduced to communites.

You'd also see a dramatic drop in teenage pregnancy.

Alot less people around the world would be exploding.

Gaza would become a sweet vacation spot - like Monte Carlo, only a little more sandy.

The world economy would probably improve, without the Vatican sitting on their $500 billion (or whatever obscene amount) in Nazi gold, and all the devotees blowing their hard earned money to buy "Reverend Dave" a new Cadillac.

A metric shitload of acrerage would be freed up for parks, housing, agriculture, or what-have-you once all the churches, mosques, and temples are demolished.

We'd have to find another excuse to indulge in grotesque amounts of consumerism every December.

There'd be far less genital mutilation worldwide.

I could sleep undisturbed on Sunday mornings when the JWs eventually come a-knocking.

And Bill O' Riley and Glenn Beck would probably suicide in a spectacular fashion.

That's just for starters, but I dunno... Doesn't sound too bad to me. <shrug>

Seriously though... What would happen if the Great Green Arkleseizure didn't fram up the rammastam before the hermite curve achieved maximum nurdfurdle velocity? Now THAT would be something. AmIrite?

« Last Edit: October 16, 2009, 09:43:26 AM by RaymondKHessel »
Born with insight, and a raised fist.

Offline blue_spiral

• Graduate
  • Darwins +1/-0
  • She died in ecstasy, with her eyes wide open
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2009, 05:42:51 PM »

Wait a minute....

Isn't Emanuel Christian?????????????

And he's using an EDWARD CURRENT video to argue with us????????????????????????????

That's the most hilarious thing EVER. Am I the only one who thinks that's hysterical, or did I miss something?
"i dont delete them becAUSE IT PROVES ME WRONG I DELETE THEM BECAUSE IT MAKES U LOOK LIKE AN DIOT AND? IM TRYING TO HELP YOU,THE ONLY THING U PROVED IS THAT UR GOING TO HELL " - A Christian on youtube who kept deleting my comments during a debate.

Offline blue_spiral

• Graduate
  • Darwins +1/-0
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2009, 05:53:03 PM »

I watched the video again, and he must be joking, right???
"i dont delete them becAUSE IT PROVES ME WRONG I DELETE THEM BECAUSE IT MAKES U LOOK LIKE AN DIOT AND? IM TRYING TO HELP YOU,THE ONLY THING U PROVED IS THAT UR GOING TO HELL " - A Christian on youtube who kept deleting my comments during a debate.

Offline blue_spiral

• Graduate
  • Darwins +1/-0
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2009, 05:53:32 PM »

I'm confused....

lol

Offline Irish

• Fellow
  • Darwins +18/-0
  • Moraxella catarrhalis on BA
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2009, 06:18:50 PM »
Emanuel,

If you read my post I want to explain something to you very quickly.

The video you posted is from EdwardCurrent.  He is an atheist, not a Christian.  His YouTube bit is to make parody videos of Christians that are so damn good you can barely tell if he's making a joke or being serious.

But he is making a joke and the joke is on all Christians that take his videos seriously.  He is an atheist and if you thought he was a Christian then Edward just pwned another Christian.
La scienze non ha nemici ma gli ignoranti.

Offline mommykicksbutt

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • Rubbing the religious raw, one theist at a time
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2009, 06:29:40 PM »
Oh, that's the best laugh I've had all week.  (still catching my breath)  Is Emanuel serious?  A christian posted and Edward Current parody on an atheist forum as an arguing point!?!  (wiping laugh tears from eyes)  That's pretty f>cking stupid!!!!!!  (shaking head) Doesn't Emanuel have a built-in sh!t detector?  (raising both eyebrows) Oh, wait a minute, (oh yeah! moment) he's a christian, his sh!t detector is malfunctioning (figures)  :-\
Faith is nice but doubt will get you an education!
Theism: the virus that infects then disables the brain's bullshit detector
Join FFRF.org

Offline Count Iblis

« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2009, 06:33:03 PM »

This would be terrible. Who would want to live in a world without Lemmy?
Religion is an act of sedition against reason.--P.Z. Myers

To find out more about the Evil Atheist Conspiracy visit http://www.atheistthinktank.net/

you know, hell is going to be so jammed full of lying Christians that I fear I will never get in.  --velkyn

Offline blue_spiral

• Graduate
  • Darwins +1/-0
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2009, 06:48:50 PM »

It says an awful lot about his intelligence...

An awful lot...............

Offline Freudian Bear

« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2009, 04:58:06 PM »
Well, we'd all live longer, happier, healthier lives, thanks to abundent stem cell research.

We would further feed the entirity of the starving world by having no ignorant protesters to oppose research into GE crops.

While stem cell research is opposed by some people for religious reasons, it's dependence on the destruction of human embryos makes it a nonsectarian ethical dilemma related to pro-choice vs pro-life (personally I'm in favour). Opposition would not disappear along with God.

Similarly, the objection to GE crops is not purely religious. It includes concern about the potential effects to health and to the ecosystem.

Offline StPatrick

• Reader
  • Darwins +2/-0
  • The patron saint of WWGHA
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2009, 05:37:12 PM »
Oh, that's the best laugh I've had all week.  (still catching my breath)  Is Emanuel serious?  A christian posted and Edward Current parody on an atheist forum as an arguing point!?!  (wiping laugh tears from eyes)  That's pretty f>cking stupid!!!!!!  (shaking head) Doesn't Emanuel have a built-in sh!t detector?  (raising both eyebrows) Oh, wait a minute, (oh yeah! moment) he's a christian, his sh!t detector is malfunctioning (figures)  :-\

Awhile back (I think it was Emmanuel that did this), he also linked to a Snopes article and said that it proved that a NASA scientist had discovered a lost day in time.  Trouble was, the Snopes article said the claim was false.
If we come together and do not fight over religion, class and borders then we hold the key to a peaceful world. There are two possible futures in store; either a March of power and greed or a March of a unified human race.

Offline RaymondKHessel

• Reader
  • Darwins +73/-3
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2009, 02:12:54 PM »

While stem cell research is opposed by some people for religious reasons, it's dependence on the destruction of human embryos makes it a nonsectarian ethical dilemma related to pro-choice vs pro-life (personally I'm in favour). Opposition would not disappear along with God.

Similarly, the objection to GE crops is not purely religious. It includes concern about the potential effects to health and to the ecosystem.

Fair enough I suppose. I would humbly suggest, however, that there is a great deal of overlap, in addition to much opposition being rooted in very similar superstitious and non-sensical heresay ("Frankenfoods", etc.). New-agers often come from a superstitious (and uninformed) viewpoint, as well.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2009, 02:35:06 PM by RaymondKHessel »

Offline superfly

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +4/-0
  • go ride a bicycle
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2009, 02:24:47 PM »

This would be terrible. Who would want to live in a world without Lemmy?

+1

let us pray:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3xJDmBq2Cg&feature=related[/youtube]
Say what you will about the sweet miracle of unquestioning faith, I consider a capacity for it terrifying and absolutely vile!
Kurt Vonnegut

Offline RaymondKHessel

• Reader
  • Darwins +73/-3
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2009, 02:36:24 PM »
AH-MEN MAH BRUTHA!!!

GO AND TELL IT ON THE MOUNTAIN!!!

;D

Lol... The Church of Lemmy.