Author Topic: who can work out this?  (Read 7279 times)

Offline Master

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
Re: who can work out this?
« Reply #87 on: October 08, 2009, 09:11:52 PM »
It's not a yes-or-no question.  Reported for trolling.
Is it just a nice way to escape?
"a man can surely do what he wills to do, but cannot determine what he wills."
http://www.determinism.com/05042002.shtml

Offline Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +251/-31
« Reply #88 on: October 08, 2009, 09:14:31 PM »
You're stonewalling and avoiding actually answering the question in any meaningful way by playing around and posting non-answers.  That's not honest, and it's not within the forum rules.

If you refuse to answer a question for some reason, then state the reason openly and declare your refusal to answer the question for that reason.  That's what I did with yours.
Unless you are Scarlett Johansason or something.  lol  i'd like to punish her with  my baby.  lol

Offline Master

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #89 on: October 08, 2009, 09:17:50 PM »
You're stonewalling and avoiding actually answering the question in any meaningful way by playing around and posting non-answers.  That's not honest, and it's not within the forum rules.

If you refuse to answer a question for some reason, then state the reason openly and declare your refusal to answer the question for that reason.  That's what I did with yours.
is this the question:What is the probability that you will say "9" in the course of doing so?
the answer is "1"

Offline GetMeThere

« Reply #90 on: October 08, 2009, 09:20:42 PM »
In all seriousness, I want to tell you that maybe you should seek some psychological counselling (I'm NOT kidding about this).
let's see what is special about digits combination like this one: (77777)
what is special about it, that such combination appears only ten times in the whole integer range from 0 to 100000, isn't that so special?

but what special about this one:(123456789), for your surprise, it appears only once within the range from 0 to 1000000000 making it so special.

It's just such stuff which elicits my (heartfelt) recommendation for counseling. You mention a 9 digit number and tell us that there's only one like it among all 9 digit numbers--and....uh....you see that as a "special insight?" Each and every 9 digit number is unique among all 9 digit numbers. Candidly (I'm definitely NOT trying to be mean or make you feel bad), that sort of thinking is typical of a person in the manic phase of bipolar disorder.

On his way to visit the sick mathematician Srinivasa Ramnaujan, the mathematician GH Hardy rode in public cab number 1729. Hardy remarked that the number "1729" was rather uninteresting, whereupon Ramanujan immediately informed him that it was in fact an interesting number, being the smallest number that that can be represented as the sum of two cubes in two different ways (1^3 + 12^3  and 9^3 + 10^3).

In the two examples of "interesting numbers" given here can be seen the difference between delusion/insanity vs genius.

Offline Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +251/-31
« Reply #91 on: October 08, 2009, 09:28:22 PM »
Thank you.  You should have done that initially, instead of trying to play stupid games (for whatever reason).

The probability that Gnu would hit post 1111, was "1".  That is analogous to counting-up.

Now, the probability that you would see his post at the time, is a function like what GetMeThere described just a short while ago.

Gnu had that post-count for 25 minutes.  That's plenty of time for you to see the number, given that you were online.  Big deal.
Unless you are Scarlett Johansason or something.  lol  i'd like to punish her with  my baby.  lol

Offline HAL

• Professor
  • Darwins +98/-17
« Reply #92 on: October 08, 2009, 09:32:31 PM »
Another miracle caught via clipboard! 333 - what are the chances?

Name:     Master

Offline Master

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #93 on: October 08, 2009, 09:32:35 PM »
Each and every 9 digit number is unique among all 9 digit numbers.
A very simple question, please try to be honest to answer, if you go to receive your ID card, and found that its serial number was "555555555555", will you simply say, it is very normal, nothing special about this number?

Offline Zankuu

• Reader
  • Darwins +121/-0
    • I am a Forum Guide
« Reply #94 on: October 08, 2009, 09:36:24 PM »
A very simple question, please try to be honest to answer, if you go to receive your ID card, and found that its serial number was "555555555555", will you simply say, it is very normal, nothing special about this number?

Are you being serious?

I certainly wouldn't expect it to happen, but I wouldn't look in the sky and think a magical being guided me to that ID card.

Master, are you a superstitious person? Do you believe in good luck and bad luck? Like breaking a mirror?
Leave nothing to chance. Overlook nothing. Combine contradictory observations. Allow yourself enough time. -Hippocrates of Cos

Offline Master

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #95 on: October 08, 2009, 09:37:01 PM »
Gnu had that post-count for 25 minutes.  That's plenty of time for you to see the number, given that you were online.  Big deal.
Agreed, I have established myself that the incident is normal, and if one could collect all information necessary and all determinant factors involved, then the result of the probability calculation would be exactly 1.
I am just definding against the claim that the number "1111" has nothing special.

Offline Master

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #96 on: October 08, 2009, 09:41:22 PM »
I certainly wouldn't expect it to happen, but I wouldn't look in the sky and think a magical being guided me to that ID card.

Master, are you a superstitious person? Do you believe in good luck and bad luck? Like breaking a mirror?
Not at all, I know that what we call luck and chance are totally determined through certain causers, I am just defining against the claim that the number "1111" has nothing special about it, why would the "5555..." be special while "1111" isn't? that is it, "1111" is special in a much less way than "5555555555555555" that is it.

Offline GetMeThere

« Reply #97 on: October 08, 2009, 09:44:26 PM »
Each and every 9 digit number is unique among all 9 digit numbers.

It's a number that has a definable feature.

The number 387555788 also has a definable feature:
it consists of 6 odd digits and 3 even;

it has another: all it's even digits are "8";
it has another: all it's even digits are the smallest cube that doesn't also equal its cube root
it has another: all it's odd digits are prime numbers;  
it has another: it's center 5 digits are palindromic

...and I could go on!

divided into triplets of digits, the triplets are in ascending order
divided into quadruplets evenly (ignoring the center digit), the quadruplets are in ascending order
it has an ODD number of even digits, and an EVEN number of odd digits

oooh!! It's so SPECIAL! (IMAGINE that I entered it by randomly tapping digits, and then found so many "features"...what are the odds of THAT!!!!!)

Get help.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2009, 09:51:49 PM by GetMeThere »

Offline DI

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #98 on: October 08, 2009, 09:50:07 PM »
"As I have previously stated, the middle east has been extensively excavated, and there is no evidence of the Exodus.  No Exodus, no chosen people.  No chosen people, no messiah.  No messiah, no resurrection.  No resurrection, no god."

-Odin

Offline Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +251/-31
« Reply #99 on: October 08, 2009, 09:54:40 PM »
Agreed, I have established myself that the incident is normal, and if one could collect all information necessary and all determinant factors involved, then the result of the probability calculation would be exactly 1.
I am just definding against the claim that the number "1111" has nothing special.

Then why bring it up?  Your actions disagree with your words.

Offline Master

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #100 on: October 08, 2009, 09:59:38 PM »
I brought it up to end up with the fact that almost all what appear to be a "miracle" is actually not and easily understood on scientific bases.

Offline Master

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #101 on: October 08, 2009, 10:01:17 PM »

Hahahah, good one, still "1111" is ten times less likely than "333"

Offline RaptorJesus

• Reader
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • Internet Cake Machine
    • The book of 4chan
« Reply #102 on: October 08, 2009, 10:02:10 PM »
I brought it up to end up with the fact that almost all what appear to be a "miracle" is actually not and easily understood on scientific bases (religious basis).

Fixed
Jamie: I understanding these things [SCUBA tanks] have about a million—or actually, it's 1.3 million—pounds of explosive force. I'm not sure what that means, but it sounds like a lot.

Offline SkyDaddy

« Reply #103 on: October 08, 2009, 10:05:59 PM »
I brought it up to end up with the fact that almost all what appear to be a "miracle" is actually not and easily understood on scientific bases.

WHat's not to understand here?

There is nothing special or unique about that number, or any number. May it be moderately surprising to see it?Sure, but so what? It's just a number, it's only surprising or interesting to us because we think "oh look all the same digit" or whatever other pattern. But the "interest" of these numbers is purely within your mind. Math or the universe has no bias toward these numbers.
SkyDaddy

Offline Master

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #104 on: October 08, 2009, 10:06:50 PM »

You were either stupid or dishonest with yourself, I think you aren't that stupid though
very fine anyway, there are numbers that has definable features, now what is special about one number having much more definable features, major\basic definable features?
what is the difference between one number with major definable features and another with few small definable features? see?

Offline GetMeThere

« Reply #105 on: October 08, 2009, 10:08:16 PM »

Hahahah, good one, still "1111" is ten times less likely than "333"

Again you're wrong: The occurrence of each is equal: They each occur ONCE in the series of natural numbers.

OR, if you're discussing the occurrence of x-digit numbers that contain all the same digit, they are the same: there are 9 3-digit numbers made up of the same digit, and there are 9 4-digit numbers made up of the same digit.

Furthermore, if you count to any number, n, greater than 10,000, the frequency of 3-digit numbers all of the same digit is equal to the frequency of 4-digit numbers all of the same digit: in each case it is 9/n

Offline GetMeThere

« Reply #106 on: October 08, 2009, 10:10:33 PM »

You were either stupid or dishonest with yourself, I think you aren't that stupid though
very fine anyway, there are numbers that has definable features, now what is special about one number having much more definable features, major\basic definable features?
what is the difference between one number with major definable features and another with few small definable features? see?

Are you discussing here your "taste" in numerical features? If so that's subjective, and definitely NOT relevant to a discussion of numbers.

Offline Master

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #107 on: October 08, 2009, 10:15:06 PM »
Are you discussing here your "taste" in numerical features? If so that's subjective, and definitely NOT relevant to a discussion of numbers.
Not my taste, it is a very well definable taste of any human, and it is totally based on our sense of number and logic.

EDIT: Sorry, I am going to sleep people it is 5:18 am here :o
continue tomorrow.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2009, 10:17:30 PM by Master »

Offline GetMeThere

« Reply #108 on: October 08, 2009, 10:19:34 PM »
Not my taste, it is a very well definable taste of any human, and it is totally based on our sense of number and logic.

EDIT: Sorry, I am going to sleep people it is 5:18 am here :o
continue tomorrow.

Here's to hoping that some sleep will bring you back to your senses....

Offline DI

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #109 on: October 08, 2009, 10:40:16 PM »

someone fell out of the subjectivity tree and hit every single branch on the way down.
"As I have previously stated, the middle east has been extensively excavated, and there is no evidence of the Exodus.  No Exodus, no chosen people.  No chosen people, no messiah.  No messiah, no resurrection.  No resurrection, no god."

-Odin

Offline MadBunny

• Fellow
  • Darwins +110/-0
  • Fallen Illuminatus
« Reply #110 on: October 08, 2009, 10:57:05 PM »

It's fail at a magnitude of 1,111!

Give a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night.  Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Offline RaptorJesus

• Reader
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • Internet Cake Machine
    • The book of 4chan
« Reply #111 on: October 08, 2009, 11:00:23 PM »
« Last Edit: October 09, 2009, 09:59:00 AM by RaptorJesus »
Jamie: I understanding these things [SCUBA tanks] have about a million—or actually, it's 1.3 million—pounds of explosive force. I'm not sure what that means, but it sounds like a lot.

Offline Astreja

• Fellow
  • Darwins +222/-0
  • Agnostic goddess with Clue-by-Four™
    • The Springy Goddess
« Reply #112 on: October 08, 2009, 11:14:22 PM »
No, 666 has a much lower  normal probability to occur than  1111, so do 1000.

I disagree.  It is possible to get 666 posts without ever reaching 1111, but not vice versa.
Reality Checkroom — Not Responsible for Lost Articles

Offline Master

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #113 on: October 09, 2009, 07:51:36 AM »

I disagree.  It is possible to get 666 posts without ever reaching 1111, but not vice versa.
Where is the disagreement? However, "1111" isn't less likely to happen just because the frequancy of its appearence with its equivalents is ten time less than the frequency of "666", that is it.

Offline Max Kodan

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #114 on: October 09, 2009, 08:46:13 AM »

Where is the disagreement? However, "1111" isn't less likely to happen just because the frequancy of its appearence with its equivalents is ten time less than the frequency of "666", that is it.

Bold = mine.  If you get the number 1111, you are guaranteed to have gotten then number 666 at least once:  there is a pattern which is followed on this site.  You're also saying, apparently, than 1111 appears 1/10 as many times as 666 in the natural progression of numbers.  What you MEAN to say, I assume, is that any number with three repeating digits (100x+10x+x) is more likely to occur than any number with 4 repeating digits (1000x+100x+10x+x)  Which in the sense that Astreja mentioned makes total sense (because you can get 666 and not get 1111, but not the other way around).  However, that's the only sense that's being made here.

What you've said is that it is more likely to get the number sequence 'xxx' in a set of all integers between 1 and 10,000 than it is to get 'yyyy' in a set of all integers between 1 and 10,000.  Which is only true if you allow for variations of the codes to be counted among them, i.e. 1666 or 2221 (zxxx or xxxz), which simply makes it obvious and rigs it to show a certain outcome.  1111, 2222, etc. would all be included in the count of the number of integers with 3 repeating digits.  In fact, depending on how you wanted to argue it, they would be counted twice, with both the triple digit sequence at the beginning and the end of the number counted.  They could serve as both xxxz and zxxx.  So in essence, by doing this, you are essentially stating that you're more likely to have a number with at least 3 digits than you are to have a number with at least 4 digits.

I'll say that again, in bold-underline-italics so you can understand this.

You're saying that it's more probable to get a number with at least 3 digits than it is to get a number with at least 4 digits.

This thread now = epic fail.
If you consider speed to be a 3D vector it doesn't really matter whether you call it momentum or speed.

Offline Master

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #115 on: October 09, 2009, 11:45:06 AM »
You're saying that it's more probable to get a number with at least 3 digits than it is to get a number with at least 4 digits.
Not exactly, I simply say that "yyy" three identical digits number has a low frequency of occurrence, since such number appears only ten times within the the range from 0 to 1000, while "yyyy" a four identical digits number has an even less frequency, since it appears only ten times within the range from 0 to 10,000.